News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

'58 Ranco valve rebuild

Started by fishnjim, July 22, 2020, 11:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Radiator shop just called, the used heater core parts I got are all leaking - not unexpected.   But the price was great!!!   I did get a really nice cowl vent cover/intake which I didn't even think one could find without holes?  Whatta failure of design?   A couple pins but sealable.  Tube stubs are half toast.   It took me over twenty hours to rebuild/body work rotted half of the passenger side, so saves quite a bit-o-work.
Any info/comments on the Ranco valve rebuild?   Is it DIY or not?   Who's the best rebuilder?   I got plenty of time with the heat.
Any info on the non-original electronic ones they sell?   worth it or not?
I'll probably have to do the originals after these are installed, so two chances to get it right.
Also, what are people using for the housing gaskets?   I don't find them and they're some sort of foam rubber, maybe a sealant?  Steele doesn't make but suggests strips.    The core to housing gasket looks like rubberized cork which I got.   May not have to take the old one off, but won't know til I get in there.   

Jay Friedman

See the web site below for the guy who rebuilt the two Ranco valves for my '49 to my total satisfaction.  I think he is considered the best or, in any case, he is very good.

http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."