News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Any idea how to get Bob from South Carolina to quit calling trying to buy my car

Started by chrisntam, September 10, 2020, 10:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Quote from: wrefakis on September 11, 2020, 04:49:16 PM
guys one clarification is needed
I have contacted club members over the years to ask if they would keep me in mind if ever they sold a cadi i was interested in, never had an issue

bob will call you many time not to BUY your car, but to hustle it without any $ in the game

There’s the difference. You call once and that’s it.

He calls monthly.

Do we have someone on it to suggest he stand down?

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Chris...have you ever simply asked him not to call you again? It's far more likely to do good than posting here will.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 11, 2020, 05:17:35 PM
Chris...have you ever simply asked him not to call you again? It's far more likely to do good than posting here will.

Yes I have. See my first post on this thread.

I enjoy this much more than repeating myself to him.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wrefakis

My last conversation ended with an offer of big $$$ for mint low mi 70 DVC that will take me off his list

Quote from: chrisntam on September 11, 2020, 05:21:10 PM
Yes I have. See my first post on this thread.

I enjoy this much more than repeating myself to him.

Nothing in here says that.

I must get a call from him once a month.  Told him a year ago mine wasn't for sale.  He asked if I knew of any for sale, told him to look on Craigslist and in the for sale section here.

He keeps calling, I no longer take his calls.  It appears he trolls through the membership directory trying to buy cars.

Is that the purpose of the CLC directory?, if so, I may opt out next time.

I can't recall his last name, but I looked him up a while back, he has some activity on the forum and he buys and turns cars.   Older guy.  Tells me he's left messages for me and that I haven't returned his call.  You'd think he'd remember our prior conversation and get a clue because I'm not returning his calls.

Anyone else getting calls?  I can try to figure out his last name, he's in Greenville, SC.

chrisntam

Not for sale. In general, what part of that is not clear?  NOT FOR SALE.

Let me know if you enjoy getting unsolicited calls monthly from bob in South Carolina.

I didn’t join the club to get hounded about selling my car.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Quote from: chrisntam on September 11, 2020, 05:53:04 PM
Not for sale. In general, what part of that is not clear?  NOT FOR SALE.

Let me know if you enjoy getting unsolicited calls monthly from bob in South Carolina.

I didn’t join the club to get hounded about selling my car.

"Not for sale" and "Don't call me again" are not the same thing. If subtlety is wasted on him, it's up to you to step up the volume. Don't know what else to tell you.

colorado4x4

Trying to get a read on the age of this guy.....must be in his late 90's or more......1944 to 1955 VP of whatever....so, likely in his mid 20's in 1944??.........Old enough to have possibly served in WWII and gotten out alive....If he was 24 yrs old in 1944 then he would be 100 yrs old in 2020.....Seems an advanced age to be still hustling cars.....
I would imagine, at some point soon, the calls are gonna abruptly stop
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

chrisntam

I’d much rather air my grievances here than speak to Bob in South Carolina.

If I hadn’t posted, I wouldn’t have learned that "The use of the directory for solicitation or any commercial and/or political use is prohibited."  I guess I can’t call everyone in the directory asking they vote for Trump in November. That is prohibited behavior., much like profiting from the sale of vehicles obtained via the club directory.

I also learned that I’m not the only one getting calls.  I suspect he’ll be getting a call or letter from the CLC reminding him of the club’s policy.

We post, we learn.

I have now blocked his number as was suggested previously.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Yes mid-90s already mentioned in this thread and still hustling iron we should all be so lucky... 8)

harry s

I'm with your Eric. He's an old school car salesman and doesn't have the word "no" in his vocabulary. You also cannot insult him.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jason Edge

Just to put another spin on this, we don't have to be a slave to our phones. I rarely answer the phone unless I am expecting a call as I am busy most of the time I am awake and can respond much more efficiently via email or text. If it is a family member or friend I want to chat with, I will answer but will often instead call them back at a convenient time after they leave a message.

It always amuses me (and other adjectives) when I see people completely lose their mind when they see a phone call coming in.  It doesn't matter if they are in line at the bank, having a personal conversation, out for a meal with friends and family, or engaged in any other human activity that should have their attention at the moment. They just completely lose it when a call comes in.

As a quick example I had a younger family member visit about a week ago, came into our kitchen, we hugged and started a conversation as we had not seen each other in person in some time... well the conversation lasted about 5 seconds! I got 1/2 sentence out and their phone rang, a non emergency call to be clear, and I was completely ignored while the person carried on their phone conversation. I was basically standing in my kitchen like an idiot staring at my visitor taking their time with their phone call. Needless to say I walked out, did what I had planned to in the garage before the person showed up, and left for several hours. I am pretty sure this Bob has called me repeatedly about my 64 CDV... it is neither here nor there for me as I have never picked up the phone or called back as I could tell the person was a huckster from the first voice mail.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have just sent him a nice email, which might help.

He would not be receiving PM's as his email address on the Message Board has changed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

He called me and wanted me to go inspect a car for him for free a couple of years ago because he was a retired Cadillac dealer.
He was confused why I wouldn’t do him this favor. I explained that although is may look like the car was close to me it was on the other side of the city and isn’t an easy drive.

Told him $250 might motivate me and after that the conversation ended quickly.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jon Riley #13576

Quote from: 76eldo on September 11, 2020, 11:34:37 PM
He called me and wanted me to go inspect a car for him for free a couple of years ago because he was a retired Cadillac dealer.
He was confused why I wouldn’t do him this favor. I explained that although is may look like the car was close to me it was on the other side of the city and isn’t an easy drive.

Told him $250 might motivate me and after that the conversation ended quickly.

Sounds like a really great guy and a wonderful club member.   Expecting you to do something for free as a club member, while charging over ask for club members cars for his cut.  I guess some see that as positive.  I don’t and am glad this post is around.  To me the intent of the classifieds is to pass club cars on to club members without dealer fees or auction fees.  Not for some wonderful club member to skim off the top. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I just received a reply to my email to Bob Williams and he has advised me that he will now stop doing this, and wants me to pass on his sincerest apologies to all that he has offended in his past actions.

Looks like the matter will be closed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

This thread is much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned. This is still America last time I checked, and while Bob's persistence may be irritating, the flip side is that it speaks well about the general state of heath of the old car hobby and the cars we treasure. When they stop calling, that is when we should be worried. 

For the record Bob has also called me periodically beginning about two or three years ago but never as frequently as once a month. I could only wish the volume of telemarketer calls I receive was only that much. 

D.Smith

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 12, 2020, 08:28:17 AM
I could only wish the volume of telemarketer calls I receive was only that much.

LOL  Very true!     Now how about that extended warranty? 

gkhashem

I agree, he was not calling that often. Like I stated, I said I was not interested in selling unless you make me an offer I cannot refuse.

I get tired of the car warranty call...."this is your last chance..."

I wish it was, but they keep calling and spoofing numbers at that.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

harry s

Speaking of car warranty telemarketers, I picked up on a number that looked familiar but turned out to be one. I asked how can I get you people to stop calling me. His Indian accented reply was "change your number or kill yourself" and he  hung up. I have to give him an A for his response.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum