News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Notorious

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, October 21, 2020, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I watched this movie again this evening. There are two (count 'em) 1941 Cadillac convertibles in it. Miss Bergman drives one in Miami...A dark colored one, and Cary Grant's car in Rio is the Dusty Grey one used in many Hollywood movies of the era.

The mock-up of Miss Bergman's car had a Buick wheel instead of the 1941 Cadillac steering wheel. You could see the flat multiple spokes instead of the Cadillac's cast single supporting arm. (It might have been the mockup from the car Lizabeth Scott was "driving" in "Two Late For Tears." Her car really was a 1941 Buick convertible.)

There was a quick shot of what may have been a 1942 Series 67. You could see the chrome fender strips on the LH front and back fenders from quite a ways away.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Although it won't be around for a while now, "The Killers" was on TCM last night which shows a great shot of Burt Lancaster checking the oil on a 1941 60S. (They left the lady "up" between takes, but you could hear the "snick" the oil rod makes when it slides down the tube.)

In case there is interest, I typed in "film noir" and there is a listing of a pot load of them. And of course, most of them have shots of locales that have cars of the era shown. I even saw a 1934 LaSalle last night following the hero's car. (With the Bi-plane bumpers.)  It may have been a Cadillac as the shot was fuzzy. And there was a 1947 Series 75 shown as well as a 1941 6127 in a parking garage.

And the "bad girl" lead drove a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan convertible. The hero also mashed the LH headlamp on a 1946-47-48 Mercury sedan trying to get away from the cops.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville