News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1917 Cadillac Ad

Started by Ohjai, October 23, 2020, 05:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

I was going through some of my old books and came across this ad from 1917.  I thought some of you would enjoy reading it.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

wrench

I will make a strange point. I was struck by the image of the building behind the car. If you notice how far off the ground the main floor windows are. I learned during a tour of a historical district home that buildings were built that way because of the smell from the horse droppings and other sanitation issues in the street.

1916/1917 was a time when cars were still competing with horses for the streets of America.

This ad and pic are a snapshot of that time in history when horses and cars overlapped.

A true horseless carriage.
Thanks for posting.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

James Landi

" It would be difficult for you to suggest to yourself..." etc.   Amazingly arcane  syntax in that closing sentence! -- the entire ad is a study in cultural contrasts.  The "ornate" verbal narratives for "Cadillac cars" continued for many decades, featuring serious language, all attesting to quality, engineering,  comfort and safety. Certainly into the mid 20th century...   and now?  Times have changed --    thank you so much for posting.  Fascinating.  James

chrisntam

eq·ui·page
/ˈekwəpij/
Learn to pronounce
noun
ARCHAIC
the equipment for a particular purpose.
HISTORICAL
a carriage and horses with attendants.

...had to look that one up.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas