News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado missfiring problem

Started by Lukas S., January 14, 2021, 10:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas S.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, i've already reassembled the carb for the 5th time :) i managed to get spec in pdf for all rochester quadrajets so if anyone need info about the adjustment of the float etc i got the datasheet for all models!!

After reinstalling the carb, car started much faster but the misfiring didn't change much. I'm still getting weak vacuum on idling.
I'm ordering all the parts to cancel as many possible trouble makers, so ignition cables with distribution cap and sparks and full gasket set for Quadrajet with new needle valve. I'm also thinking is it possible that the valve lash is not correct on those cylinders ?, i doubt as i got nice compression 10bar reading on those cylinders. I'll keep you posted.
Lukas Skowronski

Lukas S.

Is there any point to change the big metal intake manifold gasket? or if its supported by sealant like Victor Reinz there is no point.
I sealed it big time, so i don't think i have leak there.
It's not broken but old and tired.
Lukas Skowronski

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Lukas,
I think the ignition is your source of this malady and changing the plug wires and the distributor cap will correct the issue.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

There is no lash adjustment on the stock rocker setup on these engines.

We will see what the tune up does. 

I can't remember did we ever rock the crank and watch the rotor to get an idea of the timing chains condition?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason