News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

56-58 Trico washer pump repair question

Started by Hillbillycat, January 30, 2021, 05:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbillycat

Hi, how can I separate these bottom parts to change the gaskets?
The one with the "star" washer is damaged and needs replacement, too.  It looks like I need to grind down the rivet at the star washer for disassembly, but there´s none with the new gasket kit included. I´m confused and don´t want to break things.

fishnjim

Try this guy.   www.wiperman.com  or
https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/trico-motors-for-sale
Looks like he's still around.   
What you have doesn't look OEM to me, but just me.   

Hillbillycat

It definitely is OEM. The washer pump was secured to the jar lid with the old rivets.

Is there nobody around who ever took his lid pump apart for rebuilding?

Roger Zimmermann

I did it, but don't remember how it went. It was maybe 25 or 30 years ago...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

On my ’56 that piece (brass shaft) had the rubber washer seal press-in and on the other side it has a small spring with a similar rubber washer seal also press-in. The shaft goes through both the bottom and middle plate and is for the vacuum side.

So maybe the later years they replace the spring with that tension start washer as yours, not sure.   ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Hillbillycat

Thanks for clarifying.

Sooo..... how to replace the press-in rubbers? Just destroy them and take it apart? But how to reassemble then?

Or would it be wise to use vulcanization glue and try to repair the rubbers in situ. That way I could avoid further disassembly with the possibility of non repairable damage.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Hillbillycat on February 02, 2021, 04:25:02 AM
Thanks for clarifying.

Sooo..... how to replace the press-in rubbers? Just destroy them and take it apart? But how to reassemble then?

Or would it be wise to use vulcanization glue and try to repair the rubbers in situ. That way I could avoid further disassembly with the possibility of non repairable damage.

Not sure why you can’t get the middle cover off in your case.  ??? On my pictures for the ’56 the brass shaft goes through both bottom and middle plates and there are the rubber washers at both ends with the small spring on the inside (going from memory).

Not sure what you show on the other end and if you have a similar rubber seal? On my picture 0600 you will notice the seal is inside the large cavity (middle plate) and the gasket in between the plates. 

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Hillbillycat

Well yes, if I separate them then I will need to destroy the round rubber seals by prying them off of the brass shaft ends. They won´t budge/ come off the shaft at all - like rubbereized onto the shaft itself. That´s how they got destroyed in the first place - I tried to pry them off and they ripped (due to age of course). Now I HAVE to get them off.
I just didn´t want to make a mistake in my approach, but if ripping them off of the shaft is the right one, I´ll go that route. Then the halves will come apart of course.

But how will the new rubbers mount onto the brass shaft?

Do they snap over the ends (i.e. start with the srtar washer side and then feed trough the bottom hole)?

Hillbillycat

Update:
I got them apart (and reassembled already).
Used a fine scalpel and cut the rubber so they came off the brass shaft. The new ones were flexible enough to push over the shaft with some silicone grease. See pics for details.

I used the rivets that came with the rebuild kit. A corret sized rivet head former does the trick in seating them properly. Didn´want to use nuts and bolts for the sake of originality looks. I was worried not to break the plastic housing, but you actually "feel" when they are snug.