News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Vacuum Systems - Research

Started by M Carr, February 02, 2021, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M Carr

I'm trying to do a Self Starter article about the uses of Cadillac vacuum systems, and have some basic questions about them.
Wipers:
When did Cadillac finally go to all models having electric wipers?
Some online references say '58, while others say '59.  I see ads for '58 vacuum wiper motors.

It appears the '53 Eldorado used an electric vacuum pump to assist the wipers.
Was '53 the only year for that system?
Did any other models also use this type of pump up until the electric wipers were used?

Trunk Release:
When did Cadillac convert to electric trunk releases?
When did the electric trunk pull down come into production?

J. Gomez

Quote from: M Carr on February 02, 2021, 04:22:33 PM
I'm trying to do a Self Starter article about the uses of Cadillac vacuum systems, and have some basic questions about them.
Wipers:
When did Cadillac finally go to all models having electric wipers?
Some online references say '58, while others say '59.  I see ads for '58 vacuum wiper motors.

It appears the '53 Eldorado used an electric vacuum pump to assist the wipers.
Was '53 the only year for that system?
Did any other models also use this type of pump up until the electric wipers were used?

Trunk Release:
When did Cadillac convert to electric trunk releases?
When did the electric trunk pull down come into production?

Mitch,

If you have access to a MPL (Master Parts List) all of the question you have can be found for your research.   ;)

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Wipers: it's definitively 1959. 1958 cars still had vacuum ones.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

I believe some of the pre-war and early postwar had the dual function fuel pumps for vacuum assist.  Pretty common in the day.   I posted the fuel pump numbers before.  Need to cross with type.
Later they put vacuum assist pump inside the oil pan off the oil pump til it went electric.   Some of this is due to the power brake appearing in the early '50s, also.   They needed more volume than the engine could make and added reservoirs to allow that guaranteed stop if engine failed.

Sounds like you need to do more research if you're writing an article that's supposed to be accurate.  I don't think the opinion forum is "good" research.   About all you can do, if you're not sure, is comb the available Cad factory literature by year.   The GM heritage center archive should have all the years.   Parts list already mentioned.
Sage advice:Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

TJ Hopland

Did Cadillac ever have the option of electric vs vac wipers?  Or did they just make the change and that was that?

When did they go to the vaccuum compressor for air suspension?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 03, 2021, 04:01:05 PM
Did Cadillac ever have the option of electric vs vac wipers?  Or did they just make the change and that was that?

As far as I know, there was no option. Even the 57-58 Brougham had vacuum wipers; the vacuum motor was specific for that model. All changed for the 1959 models, all went with electric wipers. Other manufacturers used the vacuum wiper till in the sixties, like Lincoln and AMC
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101