News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Contact Cadillac to get clarification of VIN number to register car in Ireland

Started by doniorio, February 05, 2021, 05:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79 Eldorado

To me, another interesting part of this conversation is the current practice for European made cars for the European market. If someone knows better please correct me but I had a European 2005 Mini Cooper and secondary VIN check was necessary for insurance. The base on the windshield was the first position. We looked throughout the entire car and found nothing stamped or even stickered anywhere (certainly nothing which you could expect to find for insurance). Finally I realized it was under the shock tower reinforcing plate I added but even then it was only a sticker.

So my question is does anyone with a modern European vehicle have an example of an OE stamped vehicle? And by stamped I mean stamped into metal (or engraved as laser engraving seems a little more likely now) and not a sticker. If not, judging only by the Mini Cooper I had, it still seems to bring into question the wording of the law according to current practice. It's difficult to create legislation but it's at least equally as difficult to get anything changed it seems.

Scott

Matti R

Usually it is mentioned in User Manual how to find the Vin. In my 2004 Mercedes S-class it was stamped into metal under the rear seat.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

79 Eldorado

Matti,
I had all of the manuals. I think I checked the user manual at the time but to be certain I just searched the entire pdf electronically (probably a US version I guess) and no mention of VIN at all other than 122 instances in words like driVINg, leaVINing, moVINing.

There was an answer on a forum stating a sticker on the shock tower. Funny too they wrote if you added a strut brace or strut plate you may need to remove it.

Good to know at least your S-class had one and the user manual comment regarding where to find it. I guess it would be difficult to rule out stamping on a specific car without stripping the car completely but the Mini has a lot of interest and both then and now I've not found anyone identifying a stamping location (for what that's worth).

Scott

Matti R

Hi
I found this info

https://www.vinnumberlocation.com/bmw-mini.html

Stamped Number
The Mini VIN is in the engine compartment, stamped on the right-hand  offside suspension dome
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

79 Eldorado

Matti,
That's exactly the area where I was describing as the sticker location... but it was a sticker and not a stamping. I was sure I had a photo at the time but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was the insurance agent who took a photo for evidence. It was too long ago now to remember for sure.

Scott