News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Lead: 1938 Cadillac Series 60

Started by GBrown #8092, November 07, 2021, 06:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

I was contacted by a friend of the owner who is helping him sell his 1938 Cadillac Series 60 (Not a 60 Special-This is a BIG car).  Pictures attached.

The owner is a retired machinist and clearly cares about the car, but is no longer able to care for it. It is very presentable, and comes with a lot of extra parts.  Including two complete engines only lacking carburetors.

The manifolds are off of the car due to a leak in the left side manifold gasket and a crack in the exhaust cross over (a good one comes with the car). 

Due to where the car is currently parked i could not see its right side. The grille is presentable and has only minor pitting. The car was repainted black at some point. Given the crazing it appears to have been done in lacquer. There were several match head size areas of surface rust on the left rain gutter. Weather stripping on the drivers door is mostly missing. Interior is presentable.  The Radio grille has been replaced with a perforated piece of metal.

Owner is asking $15000, with both engines.

He also has a very nice original 38 Buick Special Coupe. Car started right up, and ran smoothly, has a ton of parts for it as well. Ask is $20k for the car.

$30k for both.

Contact: Gordy (847) 494 1126. He is handling inquiries for the owner.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

With all due respect, I don't think that non running pre war sedan will bring anywhere near that kind of money.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

holydagmars

Don't you just love these narratives about sellers who care about their cars -- only want them to go to a good home, don't you know -- and then ask prices that would choke a horse?

GBrown #8092

I'm just the messenger. An ask is an ask.
If, you give me a idea as to what you think it should be and I'll pass it back.
Or if you're interested, give him a call; and offer with an explanation can go a long way.

GB

suchan

The Cadillac 60 is a 124" wb car. Same as LaSalle; bigger than a Chevy. Whether it's a big car would depend on your frame of reference, I guess. An extra engine for a car that doesn't run isn't necessarily a selling point, just something extra to have to transport that may only have scrap value. I turned down an extra engine that was offered with my '37 LaSalle.
As far as value: maybe ask $10K, take $8K for the Caddy; as has been mentioned, prewar sedans aren't a hot item at present.
The Buick Special coupe is a sharp and desirable car. Judging from the scant photos, maybe ask $18 ($20K if the rest of the car is as good as the two photos), take $15K ($17K)?
Southworth, Washington
CLC #28060
1937 LaSalle 5019 Sedan
Cars that got away:
1930 Ford Model A Roadster and AA Flatbed
(2) 1938 Buick Sedans
1942 Chev Blackout Coupe
1953 Ford F100
1955 Ford Victoria
1956 Sedan DeVille
1962 Peugeot 403
1965 Peugeot 404
1971 Eldorado Convertible

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.