News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Road conditions where you live?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, March 21, 2023, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Well it looks like the crater bombs are continuing in my city. It's just becoming so dangerous now to drive on certain streets here. I wish there were legal actions people can take that would force local governments to patch and repair potholes and severely dilapidated roads right away because of safety reasons. What's surprising is that although San Diego is a very wealthy city with lots of rich people living here, the rich neighborhoods actually have just as bad streets as in the poorer neighborhoods here that are located in the Southside-Eastide part of town. It's like there's no difference at all. Beach areas are the same, atrocious street conditions for the kind of money that you are paying to live there.

These are pictures I found on the app where residents can report potholes and other city issues. As you can see someone popped 2 of tires driving over a deep pothole showing a receipt. This is why sometimes I avoid driving my cars to certain parts of town now because the streets are so bad to drive on.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

All I can add is that if roads are bad, then don't drive so fast that you cannot avoid the craters, or just keep on complaining to your local councils to get stuff fixed.

Anyone can post pictures of dangerous conditions but not knowing where the actual pictures are taken from, is really not worth showing as anything can be staged.   Plus, the larger the diameter of the rims, and the lower the profile of the tyres, anything can be destroyed by poor driving.

Remember when the rage of 20" and larger rims were constantly getting broken by drivers going too fast over speed bumps.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

AAA: Potholes Pack a Punch as Drivers Pay $26.5 Billion in Related Vehicle Repairs

This is an article from triple A.   The organization claims that the average repair is $600, we must exercise caution with our aging machines.  Here's an interesting personal data point from 1973--- in those days, I was commuting 90 per day in my 1956SDV, during the OPEC oil embargo, one of my tires went flat, and then, as I was about to change it, I noticed another one going flat.  I assumed foul play, as reports of some "bad actors" throwing nails on the roadways to their express anger.   I was not a victim of vandals:  BOTH steel wheels had cracked along the bead.  The tire repair service told me that my wheels had reach the end of their service life. I personally inspected the rims...   and decided that I needed to retire my 17 year old '56 as a daily driver.   

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 03, 2023, 04:01:23 AMAll I can add is that if roads are bad, then don't drive so fast that you cannot avoid the craters, or just keep on complaining to your local councils to get stuff fixed.

Anyone can post pictures of dangerous conditions but not knowing where the actual pictures are taken from, is really not worth showing as anything can be staged.  Plus, the larger the diameter of the rims, and the lower the profile of the tyres, anything can be destroyed by poor driving.

Remember when the rage of 20" and larger rims were constantly getting broken by drivers going too fast over speed bumps.

I would never stage pictures like that, the whole point of me creating this thread was because I wanted you all to know how bad the infrastructure in my city is. As well, I wanted to see if any of you are driving on similar road conditions.

I found that you can tell a lot about a vehicles condition based off not just the state and city the car was originally own in, but the actual neighborhood and its roadway conditions.

For instance I would hesitate on buying a car from a private seller that lived in a neighborhood with destroyed or messed up streets because the severe wear and tear that car has been exposed to. The constant pounding on a daily basis I feel prematurely ages a vehicle at a lower mileage than say a vehicle that was driven on pristine, smooth roads for its entire lifespan but has very high miles. Suspension components, steering, wheels, brakes, the body structure all take a heavy beating when one lives in areas that have extremely bad roads.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on April 03, 2023, 11:30:25 PMI would never stage pictures like that, the whole point of me creating this thread was because I wanted you all to know how bad the infrastructure in my city is. As well, I wanted to see if any of you are driving on similar road conditions.   
I am not saying that you are staging pictures, but you never know what the person who actually took the pictures that they post on the website you mentioned did in order to take their pictures.

Or, the actual location where the pictures were.   I have seen many badly pot-holed road surfaces on really nice roads, but if the photos were taken from different angles, they wouldn't have appeared so bad.

A bit like a car I worked on that a person purchased from the supplied pictures, but looking at the same car from different angles, one would never have purchased the car.

Some places have bad roads, but there could be socio economic reasons why the road maintenance people don't venture in to do the repairs.

There is a road near me where the potholes have been repaired so many times, that they are multiple potholed potholes.   I try and avoid that road, but, when necessary, I travel a lot slower.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon