News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1956 radio brackets /mounting

Started by JungleCadd, July 05, 2023, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JungleCadd

Trying to figure out how to get the wunderbar reinstalled in my series 62.
Looks to be a hard point on the back but have no idea how it would get braced to the dash.
56 Eldo Seville

Lexi

Been a few years since I done that, but the exterior knob lock nuts hold it on. I also seem to recall a tiny mounting bracket at the radio's rear RH side that further stablizes the radio to a framework of supportive metal. Perhaps you are missing that? May have a spare one here. If you are not in a rush, sometime this summer I plan to remove my dash top and if I remember can take some pics. But seem to recall a smallish metal bracket back there which you would need for bracing. Clay/Lexi

J. Gomez

Quote from: JungleCadd on July 05, 2023, 08:15:32 PMTrying to figure out how to get the wunderbar reinstalled in my series 62.
Looks to be a hard point on the back but have no idea how it would get braced to the dash.

Do you have the "L" bracket which should brace the radio on the back (left side) to the inside frame strap?

Outside from the "L" bracket the other mounting to the dash are the nuts on the volume and tuner controls.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

This is a good question. I'll probably be asking this one day myself as I goofed up and took mine all apart and didn't think to take any pictures beforehand.
 Which you would think isn't a problem, I have a parts car, right? Lol !!
 And I would say "yes, I do"!! But I took it apart as well.
 So Clay, take some good pictures when you get to it, I'm gonna need them!

My mind was on a single track trying to round up the best stuff for when I put Norma Jean back together, never thinking that it would take as long as it's going to. I figured I could remember all this stuff.
 Well the old gourd doesn't work as well as it used to. It sucks!!

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

JungleCadd

Thanks mucho. I picked up a bracket online but not where to land. Must be wrong bracket or missing another piece. Will update w more shots. Cheers
56 Eldo Seville

JungleCadd

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 05, 2023, 09:03:47 PMThis is a good question. I'll probably be asking this one day myself as I goofed up and took mine all apart and didn't think to take any pictures beforehand.
 Which you would think isn't a problem, I have a parts car, right? Lol !!
 And I would say "yes, I do"!! But I took it apart as well.
 So Clay, take some good pictures when you get to it, I'm gonna need them!

My mind was on a single track trying to round up the best stuff for when I put Norma Jean back together, never thinking that it would take as long as it's going to. I figured I could remember all this stuff.
 Well the old gourd doesn't work as well as it used to. It sucks!!

Rick
jajaja I am sure it seemed pretty straight forward upon disassembly. Yah no pictures. I think it's just an L bracket but doesn't look quite right. Gonna give it a shot
56 Eldo Seville

JungleCadd

Quote from: Lexi on July 05, 2023, 08:41:46 PMBeen a few years since I done that, but the exterior knob lock nuts hold it on. I also seem to recall a tiny mounting bracket at the radio's rear RH side that further stablizes the radio to a framework of supportive metal. Perhaps you are missing that? May have a spare one here. If you are not in a rush, sometime this summer I plan to remove my dash top and if I remember can take some pics. But seem to recall a smallish metal bracket back there which you would need for bracing. Clay/Lexi
thanks mucho. I grabbed a bracket online doesn't look quite right but i think it will make a home run between the rear threaded hard point has the same teeth marks as the radio Bulkhead.
56 Eldo Seville

Cadman-iac

JC,

That first picture you posted of your bracket, I was looking at it and it doesn't look right.
I just went out and found my radio and bracket and mine is an "L" shape.
Here's some pictures that might help if yours isn't going to work.

Rick

I included a picture of my radio. Notice the note I left on it when I packed it away. Until now, I didn't realize it had been so long since I did that. How time flies!
 That was 5 1/2 years ago, no wonder I don't remember things, lol!!
CLC# 32373

JungleCadd

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 05, 2023, 10:19:07 PMJC,

That first picture you posted of your bracket, I was looking at it and it doesn't look right.
I just went out and found my radio and bracket and mine is an "L" shape.
Here's some pictures that might help if yours isn't going to work.

Rick

I included a picture of my radio. Notice the note I left on it when I packed it away. Until now, I didn't realize it had been so long since I did that. How time flies!
 That was 5 1/2 years ago, no wonder I don't remember things, lol!!
Thanks a million I really appreciate it! That is the bracket i grabbed off the internet  I will run with that. Still have no clue what the other bracket is for maybe the horn lol.
I think I can grab the radio end with that bracket just need a little more offset maybe some thick sheet rubber will work. Thanks again!!
It's been at least two years since I yanked my radio... everything takes about ten times longer than I imagined. Should be on the road in a oupe months tho. Jajajajja oiy!
56 Eldo Seville

Roger Zimmermann

The first picture showing a bracket is not for the radio. It could be the one for the grille or its not for your car...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Roger is correct, that does not look like the bracket. Will hunt for mine and snap a pic if found quickly. Clay/Lexi

JungleCadd

Quote from: Lexi on July 06, 2023, 04:18:59 PMRoger is correct, that does not look like the bracket. Will hunt for mine and snap a pic if found quickly. Clay/Lexi
thanks mucho!  I do have the one Rick posted and it seems like it could work but maybe missing a rubber pad or some other hardware.
You guys are the best!

Cheers
56 Eldo Seville

J. Gomez

Quote from: JungleCadd on July 06, 2023, 07:47:04 PMthanks mucho!  I do have the one Rick posted and it seems like it could work but maybe missing a rubber pad or some other hardware.
You guys are the best!

Cheers

No rubber pad on the mounting  ;)  just the small bolt and the star washer, that bracket is the main ground for the radio.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Hey JC,

If memory serves, it's not a piece of rubber that you need, they used a piece of thin non-corigated cardboard, about an inch square, I think as an insulator, I can't think of any other reason for it.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: J. Gomez on July 06, 2023, 08:53:58 PMNo rubber pad on the mounting  ;)  just the small bolt and the star washer, that bracket is the main ground for the radio.

Hi Jose,
Been a while. I might be confusing some of the other parts of the dash with this radio bracket, but didn't they put a piece of cardboard in between the bracket and either the radio, or the other end of the bracket and the brace it attached to? It still grounds, just doesn't rattle because the cardboard is there.
 I've gotta dig out the radio I'm going to actually use in my car, I think I left myself a note in the box about that, I  think.  The one I dug out yesterday was easier to get to.

Rick
CLC# 32373

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 06, 2023, 09:15:38 PMHi Jose,
Been a while. I might be confusing some of the other parts of the dash with this radio bracket, but didn't they put a piece of cardboard in between the bracket and either the radio, or the other end of the bracket and the brace it attached to? It still grounds, just doesn't rattle because the cardboard is there.
Rick

Rick,

Sorry got a bit busy with other home repairs project with more coming.   :(

I took a quick look at the radio and took these for reference, frankly I do not recall if there is/was an insulator between the radio mounting nut and the bracket when I removed it to do the re-cap and alignment.

If there is/was one there is long gone although I do see there is "possible" a small piece still left in the radio mounting nut soooooo ???

I also forgot to mention the large washer (see pictures), I know the conical mounting nut on the radio slide inside the large hole on the bracket to center it. So again the insulator could had been place on the bracket side facing the large washer but it had to be round and the same size as the bracket hole to be able to remove either the bracket and/or radio ???   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Yeah, I  think the cardboard piece actually goes between the radio and the bracket, kinda like a friction shim, if that makes sense.
 I still haven't pulled out the radio I'm gonna use to see if I left a note, or see if I can tell where it went.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Ok, just checked out my radio, and it does use a square cardboard insulator between the bracket and one of the mounting points, I can't tell which end goes to the radio and which goes to the brace point.
I can tell you that the cardboard goes between the bracket and whatever, and it goes on the longer leg of the bracket with big round hole in it.
Here's a picture of mine, and you can see a small piece of the cardboard still stuck on the bracket.
The cardboard piece for this is actually 1 1/2" square.
Hope this helps.

Rick
CLC# 32373

JungleCadd

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 07, 2023, 05:55:17 PMOk, just checked out my radio, and it does use a square cardboard insulator between the bracket and one of the mounting points, I can't tell which end goes to the radio and which goes to the brace point.
I can tell you that the cardboard goes between the bracket and whatever, and it goes on the longer leg of the bracket with big round hole in it.
Here's a picture of mine, and you can see a small piece of the cardboard still stuck on the bracket.
The cardboard piece for this is actually 1 1/2" square.
Hope this helps.

Rick

Many Thanks Rick!!! I found that cardboard piece. You guys are the best. Feel like a dope not being being able to find any good pictures myself but... never thought it would be out of the dash for so long.
56 Eldo Seville

Cadman-iac

Quote from: JungleCadd on July 17, 2023, 07:35:34 PMMany Thanks Rick!!! I found that cardboard piece. You guys are the best. Feel like a dope not being being able to find any good pictures myself but... never thought it would be out of the dash for so long.

Time gets away from all of us. I never thought it would take me this long to get done what little I have so far. By the time I get my car back together, I'll probably be too old to drive it.

Rick
CLC# 32373