News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Transmission shift set up

Started by 1960cadillac390, September 01, 2023, 08:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1960cadillac390

Hi guys,
Just finishing up my restoration on my 60 Flattop, a total body off restoration, it is running and driving again but have an issue with transmission shifting.
It has been rebuilt and operates fine, but it holds on in first longer than it should, then goes to second but not 3rd or 4th,i have not had it up to speed yet, only drives along my local street.
I have had a few hydramatics and know how they shift when set up right, i think it has something to do with setting up the pressure through the kick down rod?
Can anyone inform me of how to set my 60 Cadillac up for correct shift points.
Any help much appreciated
Some pictures attached to show my car.
Gavin, Australia.

Moody

Beautiful car! The shop manual has a good write up in this adjustment.
Moody

Clewisiii

So happy to see money spent on a 4 door. Beautiful
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Michael Petti

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Gavin,

The way these transmissions work is the 1st to 2nd gear shift is so smooth, and occurs at such a short time after the car gets moving, that it is really hard to detect.

Then the 2nd gear holds on till the 3rd gear change which is felt as per normal.

With my '60 CDV, I had a hard time feeling when the 1 to 2 change occurred, that I too thought there was a problem, but, the 1st gear I think is designed to simply get the car up and moving smoothly till about 5 mph, then change.

Don't forget that these engines are real torquey, and the cars so heavy, that the really low gear ratio of 1st, is there to start the moving.

Light pedal pressure, which you might be using, as the car is totally rebuilt, really hides the 1 to 2 shift.   If I remember, flattening the throttle to the floor allows for a longer holding in 1st.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

It could be that the front unit coupling is not tight, allowing too much pressure loss. The front unit coupling is responsible for the second and fourth gear. In my opinion, the car is starting in first gear, cannot go to second because of the front unit coupling malfunction and then go to third.
It could also be a wrongly adjusted T/V rod. This is the first element to check. The shop manual is describing the procedure. I have a '59 shop manual, but not the '60 supplement, therefore I ignore if the there is a difference between both years.
Diagnostic over Internet don't replace a test drive...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101