News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Rough engine running, 61 CDV

Started by jwwseville60, September 22, 2023, 11:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

I want to share with everyone my small experience.
People buy Caddies and wonder why the engine runs rough. Well...
I bought my 61 CDV in great shape, but the person who owned it for years
had no old car experience and didnt know a camshaft from a mine shaft. They left the gas in the tank for 3 years while it mostly sat on its old and flat spotted tires. They treated it as you would an unloved modern car.

We drained the tank and added fresh 92 octane gas with Marvels. We changed the oil. Then we added drop by drop some Marvels down the rebuilt carb while running. After a few hours it ran fine. The valves had stuck. Now the car runs smooth as silk on new WWW shoes.

Just a cautionary tale for new old Caddy owners.
Drive safe but drive fast!
Lifetime CLC

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I 2nd Marvel's.

Our 55 had been sitting since the 90's. When we started it, there was literally more blue oil exhaust coming out the downdraft tube than the exhaust pipes.
Put Marvel's in the oil and just drove it.  After a couple hundred miles, the rings freed up. Now no visible exhaust out of the downdraft tube, and no oil exhaust out of the tailpipes.
I pulled the valve covers off after 5 years of driving it. All was clean under there too.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille