News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

70 Fleetwood mini resto

Started by jwwseville60, November 08, 2023, 08:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

John,

I note a subtextual level of skepticism in your delightful optimistic posting.  Most of us know the feeling... many miles of elation punctuated by moments of despair (when some overlooked mechanical component fails).  Enjoy every moment that your treasure provides!  James

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

I saw your '63 in Gettysburg and admire your courage tackling a modified car not knowing exactly what's been done to it.  According to the MPL, the rear door glass in 1969 &70 Fleetwood 60s and Fleetwood Broughams are identical. The only part number difference is whether they are clear or Soft Ray glass. The back door windows on your '70 are not standard Fleetwood 60. I strongly suspect the builder used the simplest solution and chose some other pre-existing part.  The rear edge of the glass leans too far forward. It should be much more vertical to something like 80 degrees from the horizontal. The angle on yours in more like the rear edge on a SDV hardtop. Fleetwood rear doors differ from other models in that are longer with longer glass and the glass is about 1" taller than the  hardtop models. (The pillared SDV has the same height side glass and windshield as the Fleetwood)  There is a great deal of adjustment in the location of the glass on the regulator. It may be possible for a SDV hardtop glass to fit correctly and compensate for the 1" height differential depending on where the glass is installed on  the regulator and the regulator adjustment.  You can check this by making an accurate cardboard template of your rear door glass in the fully raised position and comparing it to a SDV hardtop in the same up position. Cut off 1-2 inches  of the bottom edge of your template where the glass goes into the door to account for differences in the regulators position.  If the upper three edges of the template match the SDV glass, that's the glass that was used in your Fleetwood.

HTH,
Ralph

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

jwwseville60

Lifetime CLC