News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1960 Convertible metal replacement

Started by hmbmw21, December 31, 2023, 05:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmbmw21

I have a rusted out area left side lower inside panel just right behind drivers door this panel supports aft window track . Has anybody replaced this panel or repaired. And it is not the rear floor panel . Hmz 

Moody

I'm in the process of rebuilding the similar panel on a 60 coupe. It's not for the window mount, but mounts to the car in a similar manner. Having been a bodyman for many years, cutting the car apart to gain access was second nature for me. It's a bit complicated but achievable. I removed the entire outer wheel well and moved on from there.
Moody

hmbmw21

Thanks for the information ,  Its like that area is one piece with wheel well.

Moody

Drilling out all the spot welds is tedious and must be done from under the car to release the wheel well. The inner side panel could be removed instead, leaving the wheel well. It depends on the condition of the brace that runs along the outer quarter panel. Either way, it's a big job.
Moody