News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

At home tire/wheel balancing?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 06, 2024, 04:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcroe

Quote from: Big Fins on May 27, 2024, 04:24:42 AMThey are still available, but maybe not for passenger car wheels. They are called Centri-Matics and are made for 22.5" & 24.5 Class 8 truck wheels. About $250 each.

I recall writing to them, they said they were
going to the truck tire market.  They may have
upgraded from beads riding in a plastic channel,
to riding in steel filled with silicon.  Our loss.
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I finally had a chance to play with my new old balancer and I have confirmed what I suspected for many years, vast majority of tire shops are incompetent at least when it comes to balancing.  They either don't know how to use the machine or their machines are out of calibration or both. 

I don't know what I'm doing or if my machine even works and I got better results than any of the shops I have been to.  I don't know if its dumb luck for me that it worked out or if shops are just that bad.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

The shops are just that bad and the people they hire just don't care.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille