News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

At home tire/wheel balancing?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 06, 2024, 04:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Every time I have have to buy tires or have to drive something that vibrates down the road I am reminded how it seems like no shops either know or care enough to actually be able to balance usually a new tire you just bought from them. 

Do the currently available new bubble balancers work?  Vintage ones?  How about the spin balance machines?  Prices on used ones seem to be around $200 to about $3000 and within that full range you see them that look like they have been sitting outside getting rained on and that say things like has an error. 

New seems to be $800 to like $8,000.  There are some localish sellers selling 'import' models for around $1200.  Hard to tell what you are getting with those but reviews from non full time shop people seem to be good.  I got some friends with shop space that also hate out of balance tires.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Another  balance issue is the road force variation problems, this again requires more specialized equipment.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The old Bubble Balancers were good for their time.   By that, I mean, good for the suspensions of the cars back then.   The modern cars do perform better with the you-beaut dynamic balancers, as the latest independent suspensions do like perfectly balanced wheels and tyres.

Bruce, >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Long ago I saw a machine wheeled up to spin my
front tires on the car, then a unit inserted in
place of a wheel cover was adjusted to make it
run smooth.  Then it told where weight was needed. 
I saw one of these make my tire perfectly smooth
at 120 mph.  Rear, guess the best way was move 
the tire from the front to the rear after balancing. 

I have gotten such equipment but running it remains
as a future project.  Wish someone would tell me
what is with putting a pair of weights on opposite
sides and rotation on a tire, 2 identical weights
will not compensate for a tire heavy on one side. 
Bruce Roe

Cadman-iac

Hi Bruce,

Having seen that done and actually using one a couple times, I want to warn you that when you balance this way you are actually balancing all of the rotating assembly, that is your tire, rotor or drum included. It's recommended that you mark your wheel and the rotor/ drum so if removed you can reinstall it in the same position. Otherwise you will have a worse balancing issue than you did previously.
 Don't move the wheel/tire to another position on the car as that eliminates any balance you had.

As to the technical reasons why weights can be placed opposite each other, I don't know. I've seen it work though.  I  questioned that too and never got a satisfactory answer.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

TJ Hopland

I think the having weights opposite sides is the 'operator' just blindly following what the machine is telling them and apparently you can get into situations where they just keep adding weights till they run out of weights or space to mount them which ever comes first.  That is apparently when the skill comes in and a skilled person would remove the existing weights and re mount the tire on the machine and try again this time paying extra attention to see if something isn't right.  That is also when they can try things like re mounting the tire rotated on the rim to see if that makes a difference. 

My guess these days is about 93.6593% of the people that work in tire shops fall into that category of blindly follow what the machine says.  On one of my many returns to a tire shop to try and at least get it so the weights didn't fly off a few blocks from the shop at less than 20mph I asked the guy what would happen if he balanced the wheel then set it on the floor then put it back on the machine?  He said he tried that and it would be out of balance.  I said I ain't no technician but doesn't that seem like a problem?  He then said my wheels don't really fit on their machine because they are missing a part......  again I said seems like that could be a problem.....  then I met the owner of the shop and wow I don't know how they stayed in biz.  The did go out of biz about a year later. 

Abe Lugo

I added the balance beads through the valve stem at home.  I want to say it works.  Did the amount required and no vibration.
I know when the time comes to change the tires it will be a mess.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

TJ Hopland

I did wonder about the beads and the mess when it comes time to change them.  I also wonder if they would go through the 67-78's Eldo's heavy truck like valve stem.

Abe Lugo

The beads are very small and is use a turkey baster-like injector to put them in.  Bit that can be a mess as well.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

35-709

You are talking dynamic vs static balancing.  An internet search will bring up explanations of both and why they are needed - or not.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

marty55cdv

Back in the day (35 years ago) I used a static Bubble balancer to balance the occasional 74 super beetle with front struts to get rid of 50 + mph hour shaking. Spin balancers didn't seem to help, technology has improved for sure but the bubble balancer was new technology once too.  >:D 
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Big Fins

We used bubble balancers for years with great results.

Like anything else, it's the operator that brings the end results.

Now a days, the tire dude pushes buttons and does what he is told by the machine. No thought or skill involved.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille