News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1955 331 valve lifter noise

Started by alzink, May 14, 2024, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alzink

Just had my engine completely rebuilt. Runs like a top! After 10 mile of running I began to hear a lifter noise. It comes and goes (not completely but very faint). Sounds like one lifter. I've read many comments on the forum. Run it at 2500 RPM for five minutes immediately after rebuild, put in some additives, potential of bad lifters manufactured in China, issues with he cam (band new). The engine rebuilder is recommending run it for a while and see if the noise goes away, change oil brands (using CEN-PE-Co 15-40 High performance) as recommended by the engine rebuilder, along with a multitude of other suggestions.
Has anyone be confronted with this situation and has a happy ending?

Many thanks

James Landi

WELCOME to the club.

I'd work on developing a very close relationship with the rebuilder... for the purposes of a scenario where he's committed to helping you out if the problem doesn't go away.  I think his suggestion is a good one... sometimes in the rebuilding process, bits of material get into the lifters and they won't pump up a lifter with sufficient oil to take up the valve "lash" and you hear the ticking sound. As long as you're not revving up the engine, and you drive the car carefully....i.e.: don't push the motor and drive train.  In all likelihood, the noise will eventually go away over time.  Here's a piece of unsolicited advice--drive your car at least ten miles at a time to ensure that all of the condensation is boiled out of the engine... if your engine does not have a PCV system, this is especially important.  Keep us in the loop... show us some pictures of your car.  Best regards, James

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Do exactly what the builder wants you to do. Even of it doesn't make sense.

Why?? Because he is warrantying the work. Don't give him an excuse to void the warranty.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

alzink

great advice
fortunately the rebuilder is a solid guy

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: alzink on May 17, 2024, 11:16:55 AMgreat advice
fortunately the rebuilder is a solid guy
So was mine. He came highly recommended........ But he had cancer and died shortly after the engine was built. I got it out of there just before he died. He didn't do what I wanted, but it was more important to get the engine out before he died.
So, anything can happen.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille