News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Need help with a 1947 Body ID tag

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, May 21, 2024, 07:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Tag shows 16 as the paint code.....but there is no 16 for 1947.

Is the 6 a mistake?.....the car looks to be originally black.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Mike, Could the 6 be an 8 (18) which is Dover Grey even though it does look more like a 6. Or it could be the cowl tag person did a typo. Can you find any protected areas that would show the original color?   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: harry s on May 21, 2024, 09:33:23 AMMike, Could the 6 be an 8 (18) which is Dover Grey even though it does look more like a 6. Or it could be the cowl tag person did a typo. Can you find any protected areas that would show the original color?  Harry

Yea Harry you could be right....it might be an eight....I have this picture and it looks like the original black over that old original red primer....what do you think?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

I think Dove Grey is light to medium. Hard to imagine it could end up that dark. It will be interesting to see if there is any evidence of a re paint.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

I think you should sand through the top layers to see what is under. The factory primer on my 1940 Lasalle is dark grey. My car has had at least 2 repaints with primers in between. I used 400 grit wet sandpaper to sand through the layers. That is a little tedious but you get an accurate window of previous colors.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

Warren Rauch #4286

It is clear that this tag was poorly stamped. Look at the top code ,the 2 is crooked. The "acc" is K,but it should not be in line with the paint code. The 6 could be part of the acc(essory body)code. It could be a group or maybe even an S.
   I haven't been able to find the accessory codes for 1947. Perhaps someone else has them.

Warren

Mike Baillargeon #15848

This must have been an after lunch on a Friday afternoon ID tags....

Here are all the codes for a 1947.....that year starts on page 15.

https://www.rrrclc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CLC-Color-Database-2017-03-20.pdf

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

dn010

Unless the car had some sort of chemicals running down the door or some repair work in that area, I would be very surprised to see an original factory paint job crack, chip and lift as pictured. Probably the original color but I would guess a repaint. On the lower right side of the body tag photo you can see chipped, cracked paint that has been applied over black paint so someone was in there.
-----Dan B.
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Warren Rauch #4286

Those codes make my guess  look better .

As I suspected code K=underseat heater and S=Front radio, are Fisher Body installed options. That leaves just a 1 for the paint code,which is Black.

So we have  54B Green leather with Tan Bedford cloth inserts interior
             1  = Black paint exterior Body
             2  = Black Top
             K  = Underseat heater
             S  = Dash radio

Now all we need to know for proof is that character  an S and not a 6 or 8.

Warren

dn010

If it is not an S, could it be possible it is an early 47 car and they used a 46 paint code on the tag? The color under the peeling paint on the door looks similar to the Honey Beige paint sample of 1946.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283457590653

Probably doubtful since they didn't offer that color in 47, but just a thought as I've seen some anomalies with very early/late cars, not necessary Cads.
-----Dan B.
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean