News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

60 PS pump Strange

Started by 60eldo, May 21, 2024, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

so Im putting the PS pump back on my new engine and it doesnt fit. The belt is about 4-6 in too short. Look at the pics, what am I doing wrong. Its the same pump and belt I took off the car.
Jon. Kluczynski

Lexi

Probably a silly question, but did you try swapping the belts? Perhaps you mixed them up? Clay/Lexi

60eldo

No, It was marked PS belt. Some how the pump was in stalled rong, by me, somethings wrong here.
Jon. Kluczynski

Moody

Is it somehow mounted to the bracket with the wrong bolt holes?
Moody

60eldo

Mounted to the waterpump, then one bolt to exhaust manifold, and to head bolt to the head
Jon. Kluczynski

Big Fins

Fix the lower radiator hose too. It's being pinched because it's too long.

Power steering pressure hose too short. Look at the bend in it. That should be a wide loop or a straight shot from the pump to the box.

Did you convert from a non A/C car to an A/C car? Different diameter water pump pulleys on both.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

The power steering belt looks to be on the wrong sheave (pulley groove) at the water pump.  Loosen everything enough to get it in the right sheave and that may solve your dilemma.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

60eldo

Its an original A/C car, and also , the belt is in the middle sleve, the front one , pulley, is for A/C. Also, where does the oil sender switch go on the engine, I forget, Im almost ready to start it. One more day
Jon. Kluczynski

59-in-pieces

Jon,

Here are some pics which may help with the PS bracket attachment to the water pump, and the attachment of the braces from the rear of the pump to the engine block and exhaust manifold.
Also, a diagram of the sequence of the fan belts to the engine pullies is provided.

Finally, a pic. of the location of the oil sender.

Have fun,
Steve B.

PS
John - Big Fins is correct about the power steering hose appearing incorrect and though not shown, the 2nd hose nay also be incorrect.
Recall that the attachment of the orientation of the hoses is reversed between a 59 and 60.
S. Butcher

Big Fins

Here is a picture of the P/S hose routing.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

60eldo

So I bot a longer belt and it fits now and should work, we will see, when I fire this thing up today. Thanks for all the pics guys, helped alot. I will let you know. So I found the oil sender hole, builder put a screw plug in it, thanks
Jon. Kluczynski