News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

After break in down 2 qts oil

Started by 60eldo, May 22, 2024, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So my car started, and I started the breakin process. Lots of smoke coming from the engine and out the tale pipes. I mean lots, couldnt see mt garage. Any way car ran fine after that smoke stopped , but Im down 2 qts oil. Is that nomal.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

No.   Definitely not normal.

Something is wrong, somewhere.

Smoke out the exhaust pipes indicates bad Oil Rings, clearances too loose and possibly poor Gaskets.

Smoke from the engine itself indicates poor Gasket Sealing.   But, some smoke can be from the engine paint burning off as the engine heats up.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Down 2 quarts definitely not normal. I agree with Bruce that some smoke might be paint burning off in the engine bay. I had used Hirsch high heat paint made for the exhaust manifolds during rebuild. When first started, for some reason it all burned off. I had followed all directions. Must have got a bad batch or the wrong paint. You could not see in the garage for smoke. But I did not lose any oil. That has to be investigated. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing I forgot to mention was that before you commenced, was the correct amount of oil put into the engine, or did you just go off the dipstick?   And, did you prime the system before starting?

If the last, then you may not have filled the internal passages with oil, including the Oil Filter.

You may have had a false reading.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Not certain which gaskets Bruce is suggesting would cause oil burning, but the first issue might be that the new rings are not doing their job. (are you certain you're not burning transmission oil? Old transmission vacuum modulators fail, and engine vacuum sucks trans oil up into the engine intake manifold ---a newly rebuilt engine will have a lot more vacuum  ---disconnect the modulator and plug the vacuum line ).

Oh yes, as Bruce suggested, next time check the oil level very carefully. Usually, at least a 1/2 quart will remain above the crankcase sump for some minutes before it drains down after running.   Did you have the engine professionally rebuilt?   If so, document oil consumption and engine oil level on video.  Call the re builder and apprise him of the issue.  If you rebuilt the engine, and I were in your situation, I'd double check the rings purchased for the rebuild were correct, fitted correctly... I'd check the DIRECTION of the pistons (generally arrows facing front to back). I'd want to ensure that running the engine is not scoring the cylinder walls--so borescope---check the spark plugs on all the cylinders for a suspect cylinder(s), and while doing so, check the compression.  Hope this helps... keep us in the loop,  James

Carfreak

Quote from: Lexi on May 22, 2024, 11:52:00 PMI had used Hirsch high heat paint made for the exhaust manifolds during rebuild. When first started, for some reason it all burned off. I had followed all directions. Must have got a bad batch or the wrong paint. You could not see in the garage for smoke. But I did not lose any oil. That has to be investigated. Clay/Lexi

Had my exhaust manifolds high-temp powder coated instead of painting which as Clay mentioned still burns off.

Cost was less than $200 for the 1300F Cast Iron Gray Ceramic coating.

https://www.qccoatings.com/ceramiccoating
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Big Fins

Quote from: James Landi on May 23, 2024, 06:56:02 AMNot certain which gaskets Bruce is suggesting would cause oil burning, but the first issue might be that the new rings are not doing their job. (are you certain you're not burning transmission oil? Old transmission vacuum modulators fail, and engine vacuum sucks trans oil up into the engine intake manifold ---a newly rebuilt engine will have a lot more vacuum  ---disconnect the modulator and plug the vacuum line ).

No modulator on a '60. It uses the TV rod and transmission valve body.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dn010

In all the engines I've rebuilt and broken in, not one smoked so badly that the garage was barely visible. I agree that it sounds like there was an issue with the rings not sealing. How long did you run it for? Have you run it since?
-----Dan B.
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

Level is a good question.  I don't know the setup in a 60 but on many engines its possible to install the dipstick tube in different depths or end up with the wrong tube so you end up with the wrong level.   For the first fill its best to go by the book with filter spec and confirm that on the stick assuming everything is stock.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Dan, I ran it for 20 min at 2500.. I did drive it after wards few blocks,then got home an the idiot I am, I started playing with the dwell. It stalled and now no spark. Going to get new points and cond today. Ill be back.
Jon. Kluczynski

Lexi

Quote from: Carfreak on May 23, 2024, 08:35:01 AMHad my exhaust manifolds high-temp powder coated instead of painting which as Clay mentioned still burns off.

Cost was less than $200 for the 1300F Cast Iron Gray Ceramic coating.

https://www.qccoatings.com/ceramiccoating

That is what I should have done. Thought about it at the time-should have went that route. All the high heat manifold paint burned off during the break in oil run of about 45 minutes. Something not right there. Next time poweder coating for me. Clay/Lexi

Moody

I know many on this forum really like Hirsch paints, but for exhaust paint, KBS is a much better option. It's more expensive, but much less if you don't want to go the powder coat route. Years ago I saw guys use WD-40 on the manifolds when they were hot. It gives a Parkerized sort of finish.
Moody