News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac Climate Control Transducer NEEDED

Started by redcad59, May 26, 2024, 03:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcad59

1972 Cadillac Climate Control Transducer NEEDED.
I have the fully automatic climate control system and have not only diagnosed a
bad TRANSDUCER UNIT inside the PROGRAMMER, but i have successfully disassembled the
transducer and found the bad diaphragm valve, so no further diagnostics needed.
If anybody has any idea where/who/how to get one of these parts or knows ANYTHING about the
early '70s Cadillac Automatic Climate Control systems that might prove useful, i welcome the advice.
Perhaps an entire PROGRAMMER/BOX is available, if not the individual transducer.
I have plenty of pictures of my work, as needed, including the disassembled transducer. 
Ronald Threadgill
Richmond VA
redcad59@pipeline.com

TJ Hopland

I would be interested in seeing the process and innards of the transducer part.  Mine isn't electrically open but isn't operating. 

Getting that far in I assume you have already figured out that you can manually operate the system if you connect a hand vacuum pump to operate the servo that the transducer was operating.  Not as nice as the auto system but beats freezing or sweating if the rest of the system works.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Tim Groves
https://cadillactim.com/

For questions or more information, call 1-864-348-7732 or send an Email at tagroves@wctel.net

Parts can be sent to:
    Cadillac Tim
    109 Goss Scott Rd.
    Iva, SC 29655
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

redcad59

I just hand-rebuilt the 72 TRANSDUCER to see A: if it was even possible, B: if i could figure out how to do it, C: if i could 'understand' exactly how it worked, and D: if it might actually be made to WORK, or at least give me a clue if the PROGRAMMER/BOX was ok. THE TRANSDUCER IS NOW FIXED.  Meanwhile, THE PROGRAMMER TESTS FAILED.  It failed the main electrical tests suggested in the original SHOP MANUAL.  I pulled the box out and tore it apart and found THE FEEDBACK SERVO/RESISTOR/POTENTIOMETER was BURNED. [ it had actually burned out LONG AGO ] - So NOW i am looking for an entire CLIMATE CONTROL PROGRAMMER/BOX.  *SIGH*

TJ Hopland

I would like to see a write up on that repair and your understanding of how it works.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason