News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Cadillac Memories

Started by billyoung, Yesterday at 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

I will be 70 in December. I remember vividly growing up in Rochester, New York and being a car kid especially a Cadillac Kid starting about age 7, riding my bike from my house to my Grand Parents house that was on the next block and seeing a brand new 1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille it was Lexington Green and I parked my bike next to the curb and sat and stared. The owner couple walked up and asked about me and I said I Love your car. They said they liked it, I restated I Love your car. I discovered that the National Geographic magazines my grand parents got had Cadillac ad's in them. They let me cut them out and my Parents let me scotch tape them around my room. I memorized the advertising lines of each.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bill, I did much the same thing, except it was the earlier years of the fifties. I'd get copies of the Saturday Evening Post from the library, and I believe, trace the Cadillac ads onto a sheet of paper and put continental kits on them. Either that or my Grandmother had a subscription and I could cut them out. (It's been a long time ago...)

I liked the 1950-1953 CDVs and convertibles the best. The connie kit looked the best on them.

I once bought a trunk load of National Geographic magazines from a lady somewhere, and went through them, cutting out the car ads. They went way back in the 1930s and so, there was a lot of good stuff to find.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

My grandparents had a 73 that I remember, but not well. Then they bought a brand new 77 Cdv. Red with white leather. 1st time I saw that car I was hooked.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

David Greenburg

A few years later than Bill, but I did the same thing with the Nat'l Geo. ads. I had them all, from '53 to '70. Somehow I still have a couple of them, including the '64 "Life is one Cadillac after another" ad which I had framed, complete with the thumbtack holes in the corners.  A few years ago I realize that this ad was shot in front of an apartment building a block away from my in-laws on Sacramento St. in San Francisco.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special