News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Where is everyone?

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, September 29, 2024, 03:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on September 30, 2024, 01:54:13 PMGreg,

....I'm still here, but nothing to work on or say so I live vicariously through car shows.

Mike,

Your latest acquisition is lucky to find you. I'm confident that your quick clean up will result in a 99-point car. I 'd like to suggest Antoinette Blue, beige leather, and tan Haartz top

Ralph

Thanks for the encouragement Ralph....your color/interior/top combo would be perfect for this car but.....

I've learned about the word patina......Patina is French for.... "I don't have any money to restore this car".....

So I'm going to get it running really well and clean it up as best that I can....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Big Fins

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon #15848 on September 30, 2024, 12:37:12 PMI'm still here but I've been lurking.....

Been absolutely consumed with my new acquisition....

What the heck was I thinking....do I really need another one??

1935 Convertible Sedan V12 370D....with patina !!

Mike

@35-709 is drooling now. He may have to take a detour to help you on your restoration.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

;D   Wayyy busy with what I've got.  The Caribou is back with me, needs some TLC and the AC compressor fixed.  Just finished readying Big Red (the real 35-709) for a trip to Biloxi, MI and back to attend the weeklong  "Cruisin' the Coast" --- hurricanes and tropical storms permitting. But I am certainly envious of Mike B.'s latest acquisition - what a find!
Geoff 
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

60eldo

I said this myself about a month ago, glad you brought this up. Most post get views, but no suggestions. Dont want to see this site die, its 2 valuable.
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Can't say I've noticed any noteworthy decline in forum traffic. Are there any stats on this?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bryan J Moran

We have not had an update on how this change has increased membership for quite awhile. 

The new system seems to have only increased the amount of time moderators spend banning spammers. For that, I'm not sure how they even get past the sign up procedure without a valid membership number?

It seemed difficult for some of us to stay involved yet spammers can create several accounts a day to try and get in? 

There is less activity for sure. 
CLC 35000

Clewisiii

To me quantity of new members is irrelevant to the forumn, other then only members can converse.

If a person joins but does not create a post or ask a question that is a dead membership where conversation and comradery is concerned.

I think a lack of specificity is a problem. You may enjoy them but due to my focus, I do not care about your 73 coupe. Or your 34 V12. Things that may interest me get lost, and I know it is the same for others who were like me. It sounds selfish because it is.

If we could have a way to separate conversations around model years or eras that may help bring new people into conversations as well.

A new person who has questions about his newly acquired 67 would need to search passed threads to find conversation and not be able to linger in a group focused on that era before he decides to speak up.

Creating a comfortable home before people come out of their shell. Or else they get lost in conversation not applicable to them and just check out.

The Cadillac Lasalle club has a Facebook discussion page. (Only 2 comments on it today) But it is far outpaced by groups that are model or year specific.

I think we need that ability here.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

On the old 61/62 group we did what is it Wednesday. People would share a very obscure part on our cars, down to unique nuts bolts and washers, and as a group we would see who could be the first to identify it. This drove conversation.

We kept a running thread on parts or features that we noticed were production running changes from our cars. Only possible on a focused group.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Big Fins

Quote from: Clewisiii on October 01, 2024, 08:34:07 AMTo me quantity of new members is irrelevant to the forumn, other then only members can converse.

If a person joins but does not create a post or ask a question that is a dead membership where conversation and comradery is concerned.

I think a lack of specificity is a problem. You may enjoy them but due to my focus, I do not care about your 73 coupe. Or your 34 V12. Things that may interest me get lost, and I know it is the same for others who were like me. It sounds selfish because it is.

If we could have a way to separate conversations around model years or eras that may help bring new people into conversations as well.

A new person who has questions about his newly acquired 67 would need to search passed threads to find conversation and not be able to linger in a group focused on that era before he decides to speak up.

Creating a comfortable home before people come out of their shell. Or else they get lost in conversation not applicable to them and just check out.

The Cadillac Lasalle club has a Facebook discussion page. (Only 2 comments on it today) But it is far outpaced by groups that are model or year specific.

What you are saying is, you want the forum set up like the Technical/Authenticity sections with multiple eras of model years in certain groups.

I like it in the other forums because I can focus on what I know and don't have to wade through what used to be many threads. I used to read them all in hopes of learning about different years. But it got to where a person had a miss in the engine and instead of starting with the cheapest/least inexpensive fixes, some here had them pulling the engine for a full rebuild over a valve cover oil leak.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 30, 2024, 09:37:16 PMCan't say I've noticed any noteworthy decline in forum traffic. Are there any stats on this?

@Eric DeVirgilis . You wanted stats? As an administrator, you should know where to find them. All that you could want are right here. What you will need are the dates in which the forum was locked down to outsiders to get the stats you really want. The numbers don't lie.

https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?action=stats
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Clewisiii

Not really like the technical section. But a way to integrate separate areas into the main forum. Keep cadillac Lasalle club discussion, but add discussion sections of your choosing that are year or model specific.

Jason Edge is here from time to time and has defended the Cadillac Lasalle club forum member exclusivity. But he spends most of his time on a separate 63/64 forum.
If we can find a way to provide these spaces here it would be helpful. But I am not saying try to link or drag in these other groups. I know many of them prefer their independence from the way the group here runs things. 

Screenshot_20241001_085241_Chrome.jpg

Clewisiii

I also liked on the former  MidCentury Cadillac Forum, each member had an album space to upload photos. I made albums for each component i restored so people could view my process. Most people just did vintage photos or glamor shots of their car. There was a horizontal ribbon on every page that would show 4-5 random images pulled from albums. This helped spur interest and conversation as you navigated in one area you would randomly see a picture that interested you. This lead to people reaching out to members specifically about their picture and sparking more conversation.

Clewisiii

Average of about 1700 posts per month. Lowest month was December at 1513

Screenshot_20241001_100825_Chrome~2.jpg

Average maybe 1200 but 5 month 1000 or less.

Only 1 month this year had more posts then last years lowest month.

So at least 30% reduction.

Screenshot_20241001_100834_Chrome~2.jpg

Clewisiii

Also note any post or thread about forum changes or activity reduction in 2024 scues those numbers higher since that type of activity did not exist before. So the 2024 numbers are inflated over actual valid discussions.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Big Fins on October 01, 2024, 08:56:07 AM@Eric DeVirgilis . You wanted stats? As an administrator, you should know where to find them. All that you could want are right here. What you will need are the dates in which the forum was locked down to outsiders to get the stats you really want. The numbers don't lie.

https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?action=stats

Thanks for the link.

I'm not an administrator however.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

It would be difficult to see properly on a phone. You need a decent sized screen to get everything in line.

I could have sworn I saw your name listed somewhere in the list of Club execs.

Oh well, put a suit on and be an executive.  ;)
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Carfreak

You are correct about Eric being on the CLC Board but that doesn't make him a Forum Admin. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Big Fins

Well, hell. That makes me wrong for the second time this year!  ;D
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: Clewisiii on October 01, 2024, 08:34:07 AMTo me quantity of new members is irrelevant to the forumn, other then only members can converse.

That is a great idea. The AACA is your model.  They must have well over a hundred sub forums.  If you want to hang out in the General- ok - but if you want to dial down to - using your example - 1941 to 1949, then you can. 
CLC 35000

Abe Lugo

I'm still here once in a while. 
I drive my Cadillac a few times this year.  I should drive it at least a good two solid weeks to make it more work it. 
I cleaned up the rear of the Convertible to because it bugged me lot. I need to steam some wrinkles away. 
Maybe I'll plan for a couple cruises in the coming months.
That about it. 
As far as this board. Yes it's a slow ghost town.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG