News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

What model exactly is a 1956 6239 DX?

Started by hearn, Yesterday at 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearn

I am trying to sort out which models do and do not have the part I am looking for. Thanks, Jim

Cadman-iac

Quote from: hearn on Yesterday at 06:22:29 PMI am trying to sort out which models do and do not have the part I am looking for. Thanks, Jim

That's the 4 door hardtop designation. DX is for the Sedan Deville, otherwise it's just a series 62 4 door hardtop.
The ones that have the piece that you want are the coupes and convertibles from 54-56.
The sedans have shorter shafts, by 3/16" or more.

Rick

Edit:  something else that you might want to know if you're looking at handles that are off the car, so you'll know which one you are looking at.
 Only the coupes and convertibles use a sliding bracket, or retaining clip to keep it in place on the door. The bracket is hidden behind a small cover on the jamb of the door. Remove the cover and the bracket can be slid out and the handle comes right off.

The sedan handles are held on by a screw on each end of the handle, but otherwise look almost identical to the coupe handle. The coupe handle does have a groove on the top and bottom that the bracket slides into and that's how it's kept in place.

The 4 door hardtop handles are also bolted on using a screw on each end, but these handles will have a groove or notch in it so it will fit over the chrome trim at the top of the door, but the biggest difference is the way it activates the latch. These use a lever that's attached at the bottom edge and it pivots when you press the button, which then presses on the latch mechanism.

So if you're looking for a coupe handle, the easiest way to identify one is the lack of screw holes and the addition of the grooves on top and bottom.

Hope this helps.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.