News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Custom Autosound question

Started by joeinbcs, October 14, 2024, 05:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

Howdy all,
I have a Custom Autosound aftermarket unit in my '67 Eldorado (was in the car when I got it).
It works OK, but the appearance isn't great.  It's made worse by the unfinished look of the area behind the knobs.  Anyone know if I'm missing something, or if there was no provision for a chrome-like bezel or washer to cover the raw steel that looks crappy beneath the knobs.  Just looks unfinished as it is.  Any ideas?
Thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

35-709

Almost looks to me like those bezels are installed inside out, maybe because the Autosound shafts aren't long enough.?
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

billyoung

My 1968 DeVille convertible had one of those when I got  the car. What I did was buy a non working original AM FM Stereo and installed it back in the dash now I had the original radio and knobs that came with the car for appearance sake and left the antenna permanently in the down position. I went to a custom auto sound shop and had them install a brand new system that the brain box sits under the passenger side of the front seat and connects to the 4 new speakers that are in the factory positions so when you look in the car it looks completely stock. The system connects thru blue tooth to my Android phone thru Pandora so I can activate it any time I am in the car and pick any song I want to listen to. The system was about $ 1,200.00 installed.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

James Landi

I think Bill Young nailed it. If you want decent sound, you need to customize.  The original sound systems in gm cars were rarely "state of the art," until rather recently when the technology competition among audio makers became a serious factor for purchasing decisions.  My '67 Eldorado sported a newly introduced FM stereo radio;however, when one drove the car into fringe reception areas, the radio would audibly click from stereo to mono-- an obvious mechanical relay noise.  Another case... the highly anticipated ALLANTE featured a Boise sound system with four remote amplifiers, two which were mounted in the doors and subject to moisture and premature failure... The Boise system is elaborate with many buttons, but truly has mediocre fidelity as it depends on four small speakers. Even my XLR is not exceptional and gm did not design in an audio input function. 

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I modified the original knobs on our 70.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Typically the shafts on the custom autosound products are pretty long and they give you washers and extra nuts so you have a rear nut to set the depth then the front one that actually tightens down so shaft length should not be an issue.   

I don't know if something is missing or not.  Did the original knobs just have a really large section there that filled that gap?  This may be a good spot for 3d printing, basically design and print a rear knob section that has a large enough diameter to fill that hole, likely in black.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason