News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Gas Tank Story/Question

Started by Kevin Wiles CLC Member, April 11, 2005, 11:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Wiles CLC Member

Going down the interstate at 70 mph to the Charlotte Autofair, the gas tank falls down from the straps and scrapes the ground.   By the time the car gets to a stop the tank has been scraped completely through and the gas is pouring out.  The straps are hanging back dangling behind the car, burned up from sparking.  The car did not catch on fire.  We just need a new tank and new straps.  Where can I find them?

Ed Mobley

First off, you are damned lucky.

Second, call the folks at my favorite Caddy junk yard in Brentwood, CA  1-800-Caddys1.  

Ed

Kevin Wiles

is there a source for new tanks/straps?  any closer sources to south carolina to save on shipping that big bad boy?

Ed Mobley

Sorry,

Im not aware of any sources for new components.  However, any tank/straps that you get from a California yard is likely to be in pretty good shape (no salt on the roads, low humidity)and worth the shipping.

Regards,

Ed

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

As the owner of a 59 who recently had my gas tank restored, I would recommend that you have any used gas tank that you may purchase restored.  Even though the gas tank may come from California and is supposedly rust free, the cost of the restoration is rather inexpensive insurance and is sure a lot easier to do now when the tank is off the car any way.  As already indicated, you are lucky for usually sparks and gasoline (more specifically gas vapors) are an explosive mix.  For your information, my Hollander Interchange Manual states that the 59, 60 and 61 tanks (with the exception of the commercial chassis, and the 61 town sedan) will interchange with each other.  It probably goes without saying, but you should look closely to see why the tank fell in the first place.  As you know, there are only two straps that hold the tank on.  Did the tank let go in front or in the rear?  If in front, make sure that the brackets to which the straps attach are not broken or damaged by rust.

Brian Rachlin

I would say that you are indeed lucky to have not lost your whole car, and/or been badly injured.

That must have been quite a show for anyone driving behind you too!

Thats an item that doesnt get checked out very often, so thanks (tanks) for the warning.

Brian

Paul

Hi,

The same thing happened to me when I was crusing down the freeway in my 1959 Eldorado Biarritz in Australia. I was the editir of the Australian Cadillac Club magazine (La Cad) at the time, and I wrote about it. Several other club members with 59s and 60s wrote and said they experienced the same fuel tank problem. We wrote a story about it called Cadillac Whoopsies, from memory.

I am surprised that more dropped 59-60 fuel tank stories have not emerged on this forum.

Paul

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

A 59 Coupe deVille, participating in Targa Tasmania a couple of years ago had his fuel tank come loose and drop whilst travelling at speed.

Didnt cause much damage, and they managed to stop, re-strap it back up, and continue on with the event.   Very eventfull, but it could have been, very eventempty.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV