News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

finding a vin number on a 1940 la salle

Started by Mike Hagler, August 22, 2005, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Hagler

I am trying to find out where to look for a vin number on a 1940 la salle. Does anyone know where it is stamped on a two door coop?
Thanks Mike

Barry Wheeler #2189

It might be on the back of the LH (drivers side) cylinder block, or on the frame rail near the brake light switch location.

Mike Hagler

Mike Hagler

No luck Rick, sorry. Would anyone else have an idea?

JIM CLC # 15000

08-23-05
Mike, you may have, either a Series 50 OR 52 coupe. I checked the books that I have and the most I can tell you is that the engine number is "stamped on the left side at the rear of the crankcase". The book also states that the S/N is stamped in/on the frame ( try cleaning the frame 6-8 inches by the steering sector to see if you can find it) The S/N on the engine and frame will be the same, provided the engine has NOT been changed. There will be a data plate on the fire-wall, drivers-side, that has a lot of code numbers on it. Style no. ( yours shold be either 5027 OR 5227) it will also have the paint and trim codes on it, and the body number.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Mike

Thanks Jim, We found it at the base of the steering on the frame.
Thanks Mike