News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Outrareous Prices

Started by Paul Perreca, December 12, 2005, 04:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

> You have to remember that all vehicles were daily drivers when new, until the next new car came along.

I have one that isnt.  Do you suppose that POS will become a "garage buy" someday?

-d

Porter 21919

Paul,

A fool and his money are soon parted.

The value of any old car is subjective, subject to inspection and any documentation available.

Wealthy people that want a # 1 or 2 type car will pay accordingly, there is a lot of marketing required to unite a seller with a buyer.

Having said that it all comes down to what YOU are willing to offer for the car. There are parts cars, project cars, drivers and trailer queens, all with different variables: mileage, options, paint & interior, etc.

Its always cheaper to buy a good car or one that has been restored.

eBay is a good thing, even if many of the sellers take awhile to get their prices inline with reality. After a year of marketing the seller gets with the program price wise.

Porter

Matt Mersereau

I agree with you Porter, percent100.

If one were to ask me if Id pay what Im asking for my 68 CDV, honestly Id have to say no. Its not that I dont feel its worth that much, its more that I tend to look for the deals in which the seller is wanting to make a quick sale, and the price will reflect that fact.
When I came up with my price, my main consideration was this;I dont have to sell it. Im not looking to buy a different car, its paid for, and the insurance is dirt cheap. As long as I can remain in that position, I just dont feel its worth selling unless I get top dollar.

I have considered putting a bowtie on the grill, and a pair of Ss on each fender. Cars equipped as such seem to sell for pretty good money!

Oooh, how about a "472" emblem above the front side marker lights?

Porter 21919

Matt,

We are fortunate in that respect, I lusted for and grew up with 60s muscle cars, specifically of the Chevrolet variety. The fact that a cherry 60s CDV or SDV is a value to buy today is a good thing for us.

Have owned a 66 & 78 Vette, now I prefer life in the slow lane with a big Cadillac luxury car, non desirable to the masses and cheaper to purchase. Forget about all this investment nonsense with old cars, you own them to drive them.

Wasted my money on a new 90 & 93 ETC in yesteryear when I could have bought a nice used vintage Cadillac for daily use, live and learn.

Porter ( 66 & 67 CDVs )

Matt Mersereau

Absolutely! I love that our cars are cheap by comparison. Its funny how much more our cars cost new than say a Camaro or Mustang, and then to compare values today... sheesh!
My take on that is this. We know that in most cases todays high-priced old cars are the ones that were owned and/or lusted after in the youth of those who buy them. Our Cadillacs on the other hand were mostly purchased by older folks. Today those older folks are either no longer on this earth, or driving new luxury cars, and to them our old cars are just that, old cars.

Ive been asked by my contemporaries many times (Im 35 BTW); "Why would you want a grandpas car?"