News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Porter

Started by George UK, April 07, 2006, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

When I bought my 60 it has a leopard skin package tray.  My first modification was to rip that out.

Stampie

Fred Garfield 22310

I would have trashed it too if it was fake leopard. Its got to come off an actual leopards booty.

Fred Garfield 22310

Did you put in front disc and dual master when you did the brakes? Im planning to do this on my 59 and am still at the "consulting" stage. Id like to accomplish this without cutting anything critical. Those drums and puny little master cylinder make me nervous.

A running 67 for free? Some guys have all the luck! Does it have a 472? Gotta love that engine.

George

Fred your apt to start this thread in a new direction.

Porter 21919

Fred,

I kept the front drum brakes and it has the original 429. Rebuilt the wheels cylinders, new shoes, hoses, grease seals, spring kits, etc. for a total of $ 240. Just a good low budget project car to hone my mechanical and autobody skills.

My 66 with new drum brakes has adequate stopping power.

The 61-67 spindles can stay on, all other disc upgrade parts are bolt on.

Ed Mobley installed a dual MC on his 60.

Sounds like a big project ( 59 with front disc brakes ) and I wouldnt do any cutting either.

You can join us at the Mod chapter if you want to discuss your project.

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Fred,

The biggest problem with the Disc Brake conversion on the 59/60, and earlier cars, is the construction of the front suspension, and the way the stub axle is made.   It isnt just a simple "swap a stub axle" from another later model vehicle.

There are kits but they are expensive, well, to me that is.   I have yet to do my 60, but I have looked at the task, and will do it eventually, if I keep it much longer.

I drive mine reasonably hard at times, and as I am wary of the limits of the drum braking system, I havent had a problem.

But, mine is fitted with a later model Vacuum Booster and dual circuit braking system.   That is a must in this day and age.   I am of the opinion that a dual circuit Master Cylinder shouldnt detract pionts, unless it is poorly done.   Saftey is paramount in my opinion.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Fred Garfield 22310

Yes, I think I zigged when I should have zagged. I just hate when that happens.

Fred Garfield 22310

To Porter and Bruce - will move this discussion to the mod site as youve suggested. Thanks for your wisdom on this.

denise

I was gonna ask the same question, because Ive made posts about editing lesbian fiction, gaining carnal knowledge at the expense of the luxury car market, how wonderful Chryslers are, and those folks who are inclined to put oversized rims on their cars, and it doesnt look like any of them have been deleted.

-denise

denise

Leopard skin?  Oh, that is so retro-noire.

I wonder what black people are doing to their cars these days.  I think Ill pop over to the modified forum and ask Stampie.

-denise