News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great deal for a 58!
General Discussion / Re: Why would somebody weld up...
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 04:44:37 PM
Welding a breather hole shut has the potential to blow out any of the axle seals or pinion seal.
Quote from: TJ Hopland on Today at 01:01:57 PMLater they did go to that style so maybe some quality time on a site like rock auto trying different years and models you can find one with the block included and the correct threads and length?  If you click on the info button many times there will be a page giving details like the length and thread sizes.

An almost 60 year old brake hose?  Hopefully no one was attempting to stop this car with the brake pedal. 

I had the entire braking system redone several years ago and silicone brake fluid installed.  I never personally inspected the work, and the brakes still work fine.  I don't know why the front hoses were replaced, and still look new, while the rear hose was not.  All wheel cylinders still look new, the fluid is nice and clear, it's just that rear hose that's bugging me. 
Quote from: Carfreak on May 26, 2024, 03:20:18 PM
Hagerty Insider
How the Escalade Out-Maneuvered the Navigator at the Dawn of the SUV Age
(its a tiny url otherwise it makes the screen too wide)

http://tiny.cc/ffj8yz

"The Escalade, on the other hand, has done what several generations of super-sedans couldn't do for Cadillac—make the badge relevant again and get younger people into Cadillacs in large numbers. Car and Driver's prediction had come true; the 2002 Escalade really was the cornerstone of the revival of the brand, which in the coming years saw more exciting models like the CTS-V, ATS, and CT5-V join the lineup. Conversely, you could argue that the second-gen Navigator, introduced for 2003, was the opposite. It preceded the general neglect that the Lincoln brand still suffers from."
Quote from: Carfreak on May 26, 2024, 07:20:18 PMHagerty Insider
How the Escalade Out-Maneuvered the Navigator at the Dawn of the SUV Age
(its a tiny url otherwise it makes the screen too wide)

http://tiny.cc/ffj8yz

"The Escalade, on the other hand, has done what several generations of super-sedans couldn't do for Cadillac—make the badge relevant again and get younger people into Cadillacs in large numbers. Car and Driver's prediction had come true; the 2002 Escalade really was the cornerstone of the revival of the brand, which in the coming years saw more exciting models like the CTS-V, ATS, and CT5-V join the lineup. Conversely, you could argue that the second-gen Navigator, introduced for 2003, was the opposite. It preceded the general neglect that the Lincoln brand still suffers from."
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Water pump for a/c cars
Last post by Highwayman68 - Today at 04:14:13 PM
Can't wait to see what you get.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 58 Eldo Seville for sale -...
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 04:00:00 PM
 If I didn't already have 17 other projects in the works I would really like to buy your car. It's a beautiful car even just in primer.

Rick
Want To Buy - Parts / Re: Fuel Pump
Last post by houseboats1 - Today at 03:58:55 PM
Fantastic I would take them both please!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion / Re: Why would somebody weld up...
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 03:47:10 PM
Hi Chris, 
I haven't heard of any kind of modifications for this in a normal passenger vehicle.
My first thought was that maybe someone had thought there was a hole in the housing that shouldn't be there  because of the oil weeping out of it, and decided to fix it by welding it shut. They probably didn't realize that that was the builders solution to vent the internal pressure differences.
I admit that the first time I found out how Cadillac vented the axles in the 55, and 56 models, I was dumbfounded.
There is internal baffling behind the hole that supposedly keeps the dirt from getting into the workings, but from what I've found inside the housings, it wasn't very effective.
Your solution sounds like it would be at least as effective as the factory method, if not better.
 If I were to change anything, I would place it in the housing on the top to one side to prevent the oil from being splashed directly into the vent, like is done with a truck axle.
 Mounted low on the housing on the plug you are going to get a lot of oil into the tubing, more so than a top location to one side.

Rick
Hi All,

Is it possible to remove the timing cover (to replace the felt oil seal on a '51 331) without removing the water pump first?

I've had a look and I'm not convinced that I can get sufficient access. I don't think it'll be possible (particularly tricky on driver's side).

I've just about resolved myself to draining the cooling system and removing the water pump... but thought I'd ask in case it can be done without all that bother.  Anybody managed to do it with the water pump remaining in place? Thanks.

If I do end up removing the water pump... are there any other 'follow-on' jobs that I should do at the same time. Coolant system flush is the only one I can think of... am I missing anything.

Many thanks for any replies.
Chris.

p.s. I'm not sure on forum etiquette... is it preferred to respond to an existing thread or start a new one if the old thread has been dormant for a while?  I think for those that find old threads in google it's better to keep adding onto an old thread – but that's just my current way of thinking. What's the accepted protocol/preference please...? Thanks.