News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1955 Eldorado Dashpad to Frame Mounting Spacers

Started by Lockhouse, August 23, 2023, 09:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockhouse

Hi,

On my '55 Eldorado the rubber dashpad mounting grommets that the bolts go through to secure to the front window inside rail have perished and I'd like to replace them. I counted six I think, in various stages of decay. None are any good, some are missing entirely. Are they part #4614412?

Also, when I took the dashpad out I found the attached metal spacers. There were only two present and they were different sizes. Assuming they belong there do the grommets fit them? If so are they all supposed to be one size and can I get replacements?   

Lastly - any idea what is part number #4630149 on the attached parts list?

Grateful for any assistance.

Best regards,

Andy

Caddy Wizard

There should be 6 oval grommets on your 55, with 6 identical-sized spacers.  The fact that you only have two and they are not the same, tells me that someone took the dash off in the past and lost all or most of the spacers.

By the way, the spacer on the right in the photo looks incorrect to my eye.  The one on the left looks like the correct style.

Part number -0149 is the grommet for your dash, I believe.  There should be six of them.

Steele Rubber sells the grommets.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Lockhouse

Hi Art,

Thanks for the info. I thought the one on the right looked wrong too.

Is https://www.steelerubber.com/instrument-panel-grommet-70-1654-88 the correct rubber?

I can't find a link for the metal insert - do Steele sell them also?

Best regards,

Andy

Lexi

Thought I had some spare metal spacers but don't see them in my list. Will have to have a physical look. Clay/Lexi

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Lockhouse on August 24, 2023, 05:34:17 PMHi Art,

Is https://www.steelerubber.com/instrument-panel-grommet-70-1654-88 the correct rubber?

Best regards,

Andy

That Steele Rubber part number looks like the correct part for your car.  You should need 6 of them.  I don't think anyone makes the spacer as a new item.  But not hard to find from parts cars...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Lexi

Quote from: Lockhouse on August 24, 2023, 05:34:17 PMHi Art,

Best regards,

Andy

I don't think those metal spacer/grommets are reproduced. I checked my hardware and I did find some. I believe they came off of a '56 CDV, and I believe they are the same for 1955. Can sell you what you need if interested. Can post a picture to be sure as well. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

PM sent with pics to follow. Clay/Lexi

Lockhouse

Thanks Clay;

OK; I measured both types that I have with a micrometer; all dimensions in millimetres for accuracy.

"Low" Type; No.0150

28.4 x 20.55 overall
18.6 x 10.75 raised section
7mm overall height
2mm flange
5mm proud

"High" Type; No.8316

27.88 x 22.50 overall
17.8 x 12.15 raised section
9.75mm overall height
2mm flange
7.75mm proud

I'm assuming one is pre-56 and the other is post-56 as per the MPL photo above. Steele lists the rubbers with external dimensions 33.3mm X 27mm (1"5/16 x 1"1/16) which as expected is slightly larger than both. They also list the part as good for 1953 to 1975(!) so I suspect it may be a generic part that you just push to fit. I have mailed Steele and asked them for height and internal dimensions which they don't list - just to check as it's over $100 for 6 mailed to the UK.

The part numbers themselves (0150 and 8316) on the flanges don't match the MPL numbers of 463 0149 and 467 1848.

Best regards,

Andy

Lexi

Quote from: Lockhouse on August 28, 2023, 06:27:52 AMThanks Clay;

OK; I measured both types that I have with a micrometer; all dimensions in millimetres for accuracy.

"Low" Type; No.0150

28.4 x 20.55 overall
18.6 x 10.75 raised section
7mm overall height
2mm flange
5mm proud

"High" Type; No.8316

27.88 x 22.50 overall
17.8 x 12.15 raised section
9.75mm overall height
2mm flange
7.75mm proud

The part numbers themselves (0150 and 8316) on the flanges don't match the MPL numbers of 463 0149 and 467 1848.

Best regards,

Andy

Hello Andy. Attached are some images of what I have here. Image #1 shows 6 of the low profile metal spacers compared to 3 of the "Tallboys". The photo shows how they sit higer than the the low profile ones as they overlap them. The next images show my micrometer measurements of the "height" of each one @ 7.05mm and 9.69mm respectively. Very close to the 7mm and 9.75mm sizes you obtained. Clay/Lexi

Lockhouse

Just heard back from Steele Rubber.

The grommets are 1/4 inch deep and the internal hole measures 11/16 by 7/16.

In mm that's 6.35 deep and internally 17.4625 x 11.1125.

I think I would tend to fit that to the shallower ones so there was some rubber overlap and I would expect to be able to stretch them to fit length x width (18.6 x 10.75).

OPG sell the Steele parts cheaper than Steele.

Bob Kielar

Did you try Rubber the right way? They are Steele products and I found in some instances they cost less then Steele.

Regards,
Bob
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lockhouse

Hi Clay,

I finally had an excuse to take the dashpad out - all fitted perfectly - thanks again for your help. Photos attached if anyone needs them for future reference.

Andy

Lexi

Yey! I was wondering how my parts fit. That looks great. Thanks for the update. Clay/Lexi