News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Stuck Engines
Last post by gkhashem - Today at 02:05:40 PM
The car is running now. Just looking for any telltale damage lurking.
General Discussion / Re: Making parts when you can ...
Last post by Jay Friedman - Today at 01:50:16 PM
I also have both a re-print and an original copy of the instruction book. Another good book is "Basic Maintenance for the Vintage South Bend Lathe" which are sold on Amazon.

My 9 incher comes apart. (Don't know about a Model A with a gearbox.)  I unbolted the headstock and took apart the carriage with not much difficulty and lifted them off.  The tailstock, gear carrier and the leadscrew, of course, came off simply and easily.  Once these are removed along with the strap from the motor, the bed becomes much lighter in weight and when unbolted from the table my wife and I were able to manhandle it into the car. The headstock and tailstock went in easily too.  When I got to the factory in South Bend, the employees were so taken aback by my vintage car with the lathe in it that several lent a hand to unload it.  Now this was along with all the tools and spare parts that I take on long trips to GNs. As they say, "Blue chips".   

Mine is not an "underneath" model either.  I bought a South Bend table for an underneath drive model which, like you, I modified.  I stopped up the holes on the tabletop with steel plates and mounted the lathe on them.  I made a stand for the motor from a Chinese bench grinder stand which is fastened behind the table with steel straps.  Send me an email to jaysfriedman(at)yahoo.com and I'll reply with a photo of it all.
General Discussion / Re: Why Did I Receive This???
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 01:28:40 PM
Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on Today at 12:41:09 PMNever was this rule ignored.   

Maybe not ignored but often overlooked and also not verified.
Technical / Authenticity / THM 425 Question
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 01:00:52 PM
Another item not addressed in the FSM. 1976, THM 425 is shifting early at light throttle. It shifts, 1-2, 15mph and 2-3 at 22mph. These numbers aren't close to the trouble shooting listed numbers. Even at moderate throttle they grab way too early. They give you all sorts of tests for late shifting, but nothing for early shifting. The closest I can come is the modulator valve may be at fault. Second would be the governor.

The THM 425 has a huge modulator can on the side with a screw running through the middle of it like it was for adjustments. I don't like sticking my fingers where they don't belong on an expensive item like one of these. You don't just pull it out and bench it.
General Discussion / Re: Sauls Autotek?
Last post by mgbeda - Today at 12:55:10 PM
Hi Richard.   Your response is helpful, and not as slow as my decision is.  I think Saul's has only recently expanded into full restoration, as I can't find any mention of this in their many reviews.  Interestingly they have a picture of your gorgeous Fleetwood on their website, which is part of the reason I contacted them. Thanks for the info!
Technical / Authenticity / Thermometer Calibration
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 12:45:55 PM
Is the thermometer on the left side mirror able to be calibrated? Mine reads about 15ohigher than it should. No mention of it anywhere in FSM other than it's optional. Plus, I don't want to break it.

Nothing really earth shattering to worry about, but something like that plays on my OCD.
Quote from: Bryan J Moran on Today at 12:07:54 PMBut it was odd to see a post stating your voting decision and no personal information. 

Members' personal information would be revealed in the CLC Directory.

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on Today at 12:07:54 PMSo, basically the requirement for a name/signature or whatever was somewhat ignored from the beginning of the rule.

It had always been a firmly enforced forum rule that a minimum of first initial and full last name appeared in a forum member's posts. It could appear as a user ID name, on the signature line or anywhere else so long as it was displayed. Never was this rule ignored.   

Last post by Bryan J Moran - Today at 12:07:54 PM
It's fine with me if you don't want to post your personal information and use what they call an Avatar and sign on name.  But it was odd to see a post stating your voting decision and no personal information.  Just a name, nothing else.  Personally, I don't care what people want to know about me and Jason puts a lot of information in his signature area. 

So, basically the requirement for a name/signature or whatever was somewhat ignored from the beginning of the rule. I can't even remember my original name - I used Roadmaster49 for quite awhile.  Now I just say who I am on this forum and the AACA site.
Want To Buy - Parts / Dealer License Plate Frame
Last post by mydeville - Today at 11:20:36 AM
Wanted: 1970s era Bob Spreen License Plate Frame.
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 10:18:36 AM
I guess if your name is Reynolds, Santos, Hall, etc who have vast multitudes 'in the phone book' its not such a big deal but MANY persons were against the Name Rule including myself.  It'd be different if the Forum were restricted to only CLC members from seeing what we post. 

As I reported to the Board about a dozen years ago, according to Hagerty Insurance at least 10% of vehicles are stolen from an owner's locked garage.  My vehicles may not be the most valuable but they are important to me most with a lot of sentimental and some with historical significance.  It makes me uncomfortable to post that I plan to attend an event along with my specific unique name.