News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What car did you drive in your driver's test?

Started by Charles D. Barnette, September 01, 2009, 05:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

1977 Cadillac Coupe Deville.  Loved that car.  Huson Bay Blue Metallic with matching half vynil roof.  Tan leather inside.  Owned that car until I sold it in 1987 for $4,000.  Regret it to this day.

JimMLINY

the breadbox style not Spider, all 34HP of it!  ;D

Steve Matthews #19505

This was a great post!  Enjoyed reading everyone's stories.

I took my test in a '69 GMC truck that I had never driven before.  I remember my dad and a friend took me to the public safety office and dropped me off with the truck for the test.  Good thing I passed!  If he'd had to come back and get me that would have been a long drive home....

Walter Youshock

I'll weigh in:

We had a 1982 Dodge Aries "K" car with the 2.6 Mitsubishi engine at the time.  My driving teacher had a 1984 (or thereabout) Chevy Celebrity.  I took my test in the Chevy.

Then, I got the Dodge.  That car really kind of kicked.  It was like a rocket with that engine.  I had it about 9 months and got a black '77 Sedan deVille d'Elegance. 

My aunt and uncle always had Cadillacs.  Although they are gone, our family has consistently had a Cadillac (or 2, or 3) from 1969 to present.  None of them has been new and none has been newer than 1993.

As for that 1993 Cadillac--it was a 60 Special Ultra.  A GORGEOUS car in that blue/green color and gray 22-way power leather seats.  Worst car I ever owned.  Rode like a lumber wagon; howled like a Banshee with wind noise; the Bose cd player would skip if you drove over a dead mosquito; sucked gas like an octane junkie.  It was really disheartening to realize that the dashboard on this exclusive Cadillac was the same as that Chevy Celebrity.

After 2 months of that hell, I put the plate back on my '82 Brougham (that nobody wanted) and dumped the '93.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

tonyp

a 72 pontiac grand ville.got my 1st speeding ticket in it and blew my 1st motor drivin it in less than 6 months
tony patterson

Misfit

Quote from: tonyp on September 11, 2009, 11:48:03 PM
a 72 pontiac grand ville.got my 1st speeding ticket in it and blew my 1st motor drivin it in less than 6 months

You must have beat that car pretty hard to blow up a 455. Those things are like a 472. Indestructable.

Fins

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: John Serio #22631 on September 12, 2009, 07:45:34 AM
You must have beat that car pretty hard to blow up a 455. Those things are like a 472. Indestructable.   Fins 
My Son blew up a 455 Olds engine in his '69 442.   Actually went through the 400 first, and another 455, before he realised he couldn't drive. ;D.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Anthony Amman #15293

On the driving range I was driving a '72 Plymouth Duster with the 340 in it.  For our on the road with the instructor, driving test I was in a '72 Dodge Dart.  After getting the learner's permit and driving on that for however long it was good for, I was driving either my parent's '67 Ford wagon or '66 Volkswagen bus to get my actual license. 
My first car, and the one that started me on the road to restoration, body work, painting, and mechanical was a 1967 MGB GT.  Very prone to rust problems but a super fun car to drive and had the wire wheels with knock off hubs.  I still have the shop manual for it somewhere.

EAM 17806

My Dad's 1932 Chevrolet club coupe Victoria. GM only manufactured 40 of this model. It had chrome all over the place, radiator, hood, on all the spokes in the six wheels (two on the sides of the front fenders), the rear baggage bracket and dual horns plus.  Had I known then how valuable this car would have been it would be in my garage right now.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

tonyp

yea.my dad bought it new and liked to wring it out himself and then my two older brothers  drove it for a yr apiece so it was pretty tired by the time i got it.best i remember i was trying to hit 100 before shifting into third gear...
Quote from: John Serio #22631 on September 12, 2009, 07:45:34 AM
You must have beat that car pretty hard to blow up a 455. Those things are like a 472. Indestructable.

Fins
tony patterson

Dudley B. Ruffalo

My father's 1966 Coupe DeVille convertible, dark cherry with off white interior.   

mrspeedyt

the folks 1956 pontiac safari (like a nomad) :)
s. twitchell

cooncat

I took my driving test in my sister's 72 Chevy Vega.  It was the only car that had a center hand brake.  I learned how to drive in my mom's 1972 Maroon Mercedes 280 SE.  That was a sweet ride.
2006 Cadillac STS

Whit Otis, 1188

My grandfather let me start driving his 1955 Dodge Custom Royal (which he bought new) when I was in the 7th grade and obviously not licensed to drive.  He would toss me the keys and say "you take it, chauffeur" and he let me drive all over the place, with him in the passenger seat.....  not by myself.  The kids at school couldn't believe it when I'd come out after school and slide behind the wheel and drive off.  I learned to be a smooth driver and never took drivers ed.  When I was 16, I took my drivers test in this wonderful hemi..... and when it came time to parallel park, I dropped it right in between the sawhorses perfectly on the first shot.... whereupon the test proctor said words to the effect that "you have had quite a bit of driving experience haven't you?"  Whereupon I mumbled something about practicing down on the farm.... though we didn't have any country property whatsoever..... great memories though.  I inherited that car when he died and drove it through my college years and during my first year in the military.  When I was sent overseas for a year, I came home and my folks had sold it.....  it was a two tone rose red and black with lancer spinners.  Gads. 
Whit 
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Jay Friedman

My own 1941 Ford V8 Fordor (bought for me by my Dad the day before) on the day of my 16th birthday in 1956.  (That year from 15 to 16, waiting for my first license, was the longest of my life.) 

I illegally drove the Ford to the test, having already been taught to drive by a friend with whom I'd sneak away in my mother's car with a duplicate key I had made.  The last time we did this late one afternoon, my mother, who had been napping, looked out the window, saw her car gone and called the police to report it stolen.  In a bored and world-weary cop voice, the desk officer in our small crime-free town asked my mother, "Lady, don't you have a son around 15 or so?"  When she answered in the affirmative, he replied, "Don't worry, he'll brilng it back in time for dinner".
A week or so later, my parents threw in the towel and decided I needed the Ford.

J

nothing exciting for me just a 1989 dodge omni now what i drove to drivers training  yes i said drove to drivers training because my brother was too lazy to drive me  so he gave me his keys  to his  1967 chrysler newport
Cadillac got me!!!

Guidematic

This is an interesting thread to be sure.

I took mine in my dad's '74 Impala Sport Coupe. The instructor made me parallel park it between two 5-ton trucks with barely enough room for a Bug. After maneuvering back and forth he said "Good enough" I passed the fist time.

I learned to drive in my dad's '66 Pontiac Parisienne.

Then a couple of years ago when I had to get my bus license for the job I have now, I took that in a 1982 GMC TDH 4501 (Fishbowl)

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

cooncat

The first car I actually drove was my uncle's 1972 White Cadillac Eldorado hardtop.  It had the red leather interior and elk grain top.  The story behind the drive is as follows.  When I was young, my uncle used to let me sit in his lap and steer his cars.  I steered his 1965 Fleetwood Brougham and his 1970 Fleetwood Brougham.  I was at his house in Great Neck, Long Island for a holiday dinner and he asked me if I wanted to go for a drive.  He assumed I had my driver's license and I said sure.  I wasn't about to tell him that.  I drove around his little village at night and I did very well at that.  When we returned to his home, I told him I didn't have my license, he nearly freaked, but at the same time, he was proud at how well I handled that all hood, huge Eldorado.  Thus my love for Cadiilacs.  I got my love from him.
2006 Cadillac STS

scottward

I drove my dad's '72 Jaguar XJ6.  It was smaller than my mom's '69 Deville which I was afraid to parallel park.  The instructor was fascinated with the dash on the Jaguar, I don't think he paid any attention to my driving.  All the questions he asked were about the car.  He passed me first time.  By the way, 40 years later, we still own the '69 Deville.