News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 06, 2020, 09:22:00 PM
Drove my 1970 SDV to Gettysburg, PA AACA show and put a for sale sign on her.  It is time.  Trying to lower the amount of stuff that I have.  Perfect weather, sunny 72'F no humidity.  The 100 mile trip was wonderful.
Nice car! Were people interested?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

INTMD8

7 years ago I bought my 59 series 62 convertible that was dormant since 1978.

I was impressed that everything electrical worked aside from the license plate bulb.  Until today..

Drivers quarter window would not go up with front/drivers switch.  Worked from rear switch.

Looking at diagram in wsm, don't even see the power windows, maybe I can't see good. 

Starting at the switch, drivers quarter window up, switch works, puts 12v to blue wire. Trace that down to kick panel and there's a connector that was rather corroded, and corroded at all wire crimps.

Decided the best solution was to eliminate the connector and solder the wires. Will replace with a connector if ever necessary?

All good now.

Roger Zimmermann

Contacts are not good looking! No wonder at this age + convertible...
As a side note: I suppose you cancel your travel to Switzerland.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

INTMD8

Hi Roger!  Delayed but not cancelled  ;D   Thought we would enjoy the trip more once there is less covid issues.

56 Eldorado

Replaced the strike plate on the driver side door jam.
Tom Modaff  CLC #26179

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 07, 2020, 04:05:01 AM
Hi Roger!  Delayed but not cancelled  ;D   Thought we would enjoy the trip more once there is less covid issues.
Well, for the moment the situation is bad here. Maybe 2021 will be a tad better. Contrary to to a guy who pretended that it will go away like it came, this virus will keep us busy for some time, unfortunately. Most probably, life will be back to a normal situation in 2022.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Andrew Trout

I took my '61 Convertible on a nice long drive out to Buffalo for our first Western NY CLC meeting since early March of this year. The drive itself was gorgeous, all back roads with very little traffic. Before heading out, I gave the car a quick waterless wash with Griot's Garage speed shine and cleaned up the windows with Stoner Invisible Glass. I also cleaned out some dirt and road spray in the front wheel wells, and noticed a washer, nut and bolt inside the empty space behind the splash shield in the bumper. I have no idea now long those have been there, but probably explains the random rattles I've heard in the car.

I also quickly wiped down the engine bay, and took a moment to check the fuse for the generator. The idiot light in the instrument cluster doesn't work, so the fuse probably blew. Opened up the holder and....there's no fuse. My Dad continues to leave little surprises for me.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

TJ Hopland

Friend of mine in its 84 CDV didn't take the snow in October as a warning to get the Caddy in storage.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

David Greenburg

I checked my tires. Fascinating, right? I think we all know that temperature affects time pressure, but I was not aware of just how much. We’ve had a big temp drop in the last few days, but even so, when the first tire I checked was down 5 lbs I figured there was a slow leak. But the others were also down 4.5-5 lbs.  Moral of the story, at least for those of you in the northern hemisphere, is to check those tires if you haven’t recently. You might be surprised.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

harvey b

Had a beautiful day here yesterday,took my 37 out of the trailer it is kept in,Figured what the heck ill go for a short drive.Went around the block at my place,about 5 miles 8).It always amazes me how easy the car is to drive at highway speeds,60 miles an hour is the sweet spot for it,It must have been a rocket ship when it was new,compared to all the fords and chevs back then.Only drove it 3 times this season,really no place to go anyway.Planning on a color change to the original color,was La Mothe Grey when it was new,a dark grey with a hint of metallic. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Lexi

The Car Gods smiled upon me as we have had some unseasonably warm weather up here. Almost summer like in November. So I beat the odds by getting my carb rebuilt and I re-installed it a couple of days ago. Have been driving the car to check for issues, but so far so good. At least come spring that job will be off my to-do list. Clay/Lexi

Big Fins

All that I can do is look at it in the garage. Everyday it rains and rains and rains.

Maybe after this storm clears the Eastern seaboard, the sun will come out and the roads will dry for more than a few minutes.

Then the yard will need to be cut and the leaves picked up and I can again look at in the garage in passing.  :'(
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Andrew Trout

I figured out why multiple lights and the clock aren't working. The main body fuse was blown!

I disconnected the negative terminal, replaced the fuse, reconnected the main body fuse, and hey, the glovebox light works now (My wife: I never knew the glovebox had a light) as does the map light. The Drivers-side light works, but not the passenger side. And neither light is working either. Oh, and the clock isn't working either, along with the trunk light.

The fuse blew a few minutes later, so there's some sort of open circuit in the dash that is causing the fuse to blow. What causes it? I have no idea. Could be a door switch, could be a pinched wire, could be a series of things. I'd like to avoid blowing fuses for fun and sport. I found this old thread with another '61 owner dealing with the same issues http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=137579.0 so I'll be using it to start a trouble-shooting process. This may have to wait for the spring as the cold weather seems to be here to stay.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

R Pope

You know, every time I pull up this thread to see what others have done it gets me motivated to get back on my 72 Elmo and to go enjoy it. Thanks everyone!

Jamurray

Winter is late arriving in Connecticut this year, so I was able to take my LaSalle out for some exercise. It was its first trip with new plug wires. I'd replaced the cap, rotor, points, capacitor and I'd cleaned the plugs a few weeks back. The results then were disappointing. For instance, when I'd pull number 2 plug it looked like it hadn't fired; the others looked good. The car ran poorly.

NAPA had to order the wires from God-Knows-Where, but I finally got them. Had someone told me changing plug wires would have given me a brand new 1940 LaSalle, I would have laughed at them!

It runs so good now that I'm thinking of driving it out to California to see my daughter and grandchildren!

Maybe not.

Saturnin15

My 56 Sedan deVille is now in hibernation hoping when it awakes next spring that the fight against the virus will be won!
Sedan Deville 1956

bctexas

A week or so ago I installed new shocks on my '65 CDV.  The upper bushings on the old shocks were shot, and it looked like the bushings on the rear were bad too, so I just decided to replace the shocks as they aren't very expensive.  I knew the new ones were gas filled, but I had no idea that they would ruin the ride quality!  Every minor bump jolted the car.  So today the old shocks went back on, with new front upper bushings.  The rear bushings were in better shape than I thought.  Ahhhh - the ride quality is back where it belongs.  I have only found one source for new non-gas shocks but they are really expensive.  Anyone have a source for reasonably priced non-gas shocks for our cars?

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Scot Minesinger

bctexas 65 CDV; Installed the Monroe "Sensatracks" (spelling?) on my 1970 DVC and SDV a decade ago (similar to 1965 DVC) with no issue on ride quality - cars both drive beautifully today.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Took the 1968 DVC out to Old Town in Kissimmee yesterday. I ran into the Highwayman68 (Mark D) who had his 1968 Fleetwood Brougham. That was quite unexpected. He had been at Daytona for their Turkey run weekend. There were a few other Cadillacs there, all 80's though. We had the two oldest Cadillacs there.

The weather was fine. The sun was going down behind me as I headed out along I-4,  I could see a fantastic red sunset & twilight in the rear view mirrors.

The drive back was great. I put my black Cadillac jacket on, set the Climate control to 77 without the compressor (I have a rocker switch for this), set the XM Satellite Radio to the Studio 54 channel, put the Cruise Control on at 70, and just let the car drive me home. I didn't have to tough the brake pedal until I got off I-75 near my home.

I'll dig the pics off my phone and post some later.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

It was not today, but yesterday: since I have the '72 coupe, the Cruise control is not functioning well: it hunt the speed, which is not very pleasant. I verified almost everything; took the transducer home so have a look into it, reinstall. It was not better. The sole thing I did not verify was the vacuum valve at the brake pedal.
As the front seat is still out ( I let replace the latex which is under the cloth, it turned into a black powder and I had the impression that I was sitting on walnuts; the seats since done, much better that before!), I used the opportunity to have a look under the dash to search that valve. It's there, way, way up into the dash! At its end, there is a vacuum rubber hose. Where is that hose going? Under the hood, I saw it. It is routed very conveniently under the wiper motor; it's connected to a "T". How to take it out from the T? Those damn cars are so wide, and I'm not very tall! Finally, with the help of a screwdriver, the hose went out of the T. Using a vacuum pump, I could finally test the valve: the verdict is easy to understand: the valve does not held the vacuum. In contrary to what is happening those days in the US, the verdict here is clear: the valve must go in retirement and another one must go in.
But how to remove the old one? Finally I succeed, but at least I have 3 wounded fingers.
Back home, I saw that those valves are used from 1970 to 1975. Rock auto has some, but, as usual, they are not the right ones. Maybe Ted Holcombe?
This morning I had the pleasant surprise to see that Ted has a NOS valve. It's already ordered.
The following pictures:
The defective vacuum valve (but not my fingers), the rear lenses, I painted the emblem which was polished away and the front seat before and after.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101