News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado front suspension

Started by Leary75, February 01, 2021, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmatthew

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on February 04, 2021, 01:37:40 PM

I also installed new splash aprons on the wheel wells and radiator.

I was planning on making one for my drivers side fender...Never thought I could still get these. Where did you buy yours ? Thanks for the heads up !

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

1976Deville

For sure not mevotech Cheap made in China. I had to replace them on my Monte Carlo after 2 years Sommer driving. And they don't have grease fittings

Leary75

Well I pulled the knuckle today, and the ball joints are in ok condition.   The boot on the upper one is torn open, but there was enough grease to make up for rubber.   The lower one has Avery little bit of play, and moves loosely after everything is removed.  Bearing is way shot.  Hub moves even without the wheel on it.   Question is replace the ball joints or just the boots.   Both are torn, but both joints are original. 

Also, are there replacement boots?

Here are some pics
-Brian
1976 Eldorado Convertible

TJ Hopland

I have not personally seen an upper worn on these cars so I would be tempted to look for a new boot rather than risk replacing it with a piece of junk.   If you never get it wet then maybe not even worry about the boot. 

For the lower if you can feel movement you probably should replace it.  If there is really no movement and its just good and broke in and you are not really putting on a ton of miles it may have decent life left in it.   Gravity is on your side with this design so they have to get really horribly loose to actually come apart.   Some other designs the spring is pushing against it all the time so if you just unload the suspension a bit it can pop. 

If you do the bearings yourself let us know how it goes.  I have been told if you can do it without special ish tools and a press you have problems,  it should not come apart or go together easily.    Even when I have had them loose enough you would figure balls would have fallen out I was still not able to get it apart with a hammer.   I have just taken mine to a clutch n u joint sort of shop in the past.   I have one I am watching now so may attempt it myself this time since I now have a press and a mill and lathe to assist in making tools.

Leary75

I am having my local mechanic do the bearing in his press.  I am hoping the pecialtool is not needed or he has one

79 Eldorado

I've looked for ball joint boot only replacements before because I wanted to preserve the original riveted design and I caught the tear before damage was done. At that time I was only able to find a urethane version from Energy Suspensions. I bought them but was underwhelmed. To be fair I never ended up trying them because they gave me the impression they simply wouldn't cover well. Since then I've changed ball joints a few times and even for the same application different manufacturers have different solutions. The most impressive was Proforged. Theirs fit perfectly, arrive assembled, and they don't require a metal sleeve to be assembled around the circumference to secure the boot. My reference being the uppers on my 79 E-Body.

I do like the original rivet design over bolts but if I could find Proforged I would trust them as a great replacement. If you want to save the originality of the rivets and the ball joint is still good I would think about trying to determine what style your original boot was and to get it I would buy some new ball joints and I would use only the boot. Obviously not the low cost solution but if you really want to keep the originals that might be the best option. I wouldn't leave it exposed without a boot.

In your case is the entire control arm is coming off you might be able to replace the solid rivets with solid rivets. I've recently done semi-tubular and I suspect the same place I worked with could help with a low cost solid rivet tool. They at least sell solid rivets.

This place, JAY-CEE SALES & RIVET INC, is great:
https://www.rivetsonline.com/
They have tech information regarding developing the size and diameter you need. Before I phoned I went through the calculation and made certain I had everything they would ask. I phoned and they helped me confirm my selection and they suggested a tool which I could use with my air chisel (for semi tubular; not certain what exists for solid).

Scott

TJ Hopland

I'm sure having the official or custom made specifically for these cars tools would be nice but I do remember asking at least one of the shops that did mine if they had those tools and they said they didn't but it would not be a problem.   I think they do so much pressing of various things they got lots of stuff around and can likely find stuff that will work.  If they can't I'm sure they can make what ever they need since they have all the tools and skills.

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I had to replace the bearings in a FWD hub, I had no problems using basic hand tools.

Not sure if the late model bearings are different to the Factory ones, but the Factory Shop Manual mentions shims and the like, but my replacements came as a special matched pair, complete with no requirement for shimming.

BUT, they were a whole lot dearer than the basic bearings for the same dimentions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Does the 76 Eldo use the same tool J22214 for removing the wheel bearing? 
I have a couple of extra frames and force screws but the bushings for the ball joint holes are impossible to find.  But they should not be hard to make if one is good with a lathe. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Leary75

The 76 uses the same tool. My local mechanic is a 2nd generation owner of his shop, and actually had the hub tool in the back from when his father ran the shop.  The Tim kin bearing I got came as a full set, so no shims should be needed. 

As for the boots, I ordered a kit from energy suspensions that has a few sizes.  I am hoping that they will work.   They are showing up tomorrow, so we will see!  I am not planning on taking any of the control arms off so hopefully I can get a decent fit with the boots.  If not, i dont care about bolted vs riveted, so I will just replace the ball joints.   

As always, tons of good advice on here. Thanks for the comments and options!

-Brian