News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Help With New Carpet Installation on 61 Caddy

Started by Jack Miller, September 22, 2007, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller

Hi All,

Can I please get some tips here on how to install my new carpets on my 61 Caddy convertible?
I have all seats out, kick panels out and rear panels out. I do not have the original carpets to judge by. I don't want to cut till I hear from someone here.
I am concerned about the gas pedal, cutting out the rear hooks that hold in the rear seat and the heat ducts that are under the front seat. I am really not sure about cutting out the under seat ducts. I guess that the carpet gets cut under the door step mouldings.
Should the carpets be glued in or will the seats & trim hold the carpets in place? I have heard both ways, which is correct on a Caddy?
Also if I missed out anything please let me know.
I guess that once the carpet is set, the high beam switch is easy to cut out and put the rubber grommet on and the 8 seat bolt holes too.
Any tricks from experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Jack
Jack M.

Jack Miller

Quote from: South_paw on September 22, 2007, 04:45:09 PM
Jack,

Here's a link that will guide you thru the install...
http://www.autoupholsterykits.com/carpetinsmld.htm

HTH

Lou

Lou,

I bought my carpet from them about 8 months ago. The under seat ducts and the rear seat mounts are upsetting me with the install. I don't want to blow the carpet. I have done quite a few carpets but in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, Corvettes & 57 Birds but those carpets are in pieces and are easier to instal as the pieces are smaller.

Jack
Jack M.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: fins on September 23, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
Lou,
I bought my carpet from them about 8 months ago. The under seat ducts and the rear seat mounts are upsetting me with the install. I don't want to blow the carpet. I have done quite a few carpets but in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, Corvettes & 57 Birds but those carpets are in pieces and are easier to instal as the pieces are smaller.   Jack   

Hi Jack,

Yep, Cadillacs are BIG, and big for a reason.

Not really sure what the reason is for, but usually, the bigger things are, the easier they are to work on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon