News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1956 valve lifters and push rods

Started by Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192, July 15, 2005, 05:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Hi, Ive come across a problem on a newly rebuilt 1956 engine in my friends 56 sedan deville. It appears that either the pushrods and/or the valve lifters are too long. I cant find the dimensions in any of the literature that I own - does anyone there know the correct pushrod and valve lifter dimensions for a 56 engine ?
Thanks,
Phil Whyte

Mike

I had a similar problem on my 365 that I fixed; engine was rebuilt a few years ago, and since final restoration when I started to drive it more, I found I could not get a very good idle, plus I was getting lifter noises.  I ended up pulling the lifters and push rods, found a scored lifter, plus found that the rebuilder had shimmed the rocker arm assemblies.  Nothing in the manual says anything about doing that. When I checked the lifters, I found they were too long (likely why the rocker arm assemblies were shimmed), as the lifters were for a 57 engine, which are different from a 56.  So, I ordered the proper lifters, put in new push rods, got rid of the shims, and have a much better idling engine. The wrong lifters and shimmed rockers must have created some sort of valve timing overlap. Am not at home now, but I can find the invoice and part numbers for the lifters and rods if you like.  I suspect your lifters are the problem.

Paul Flykt #18899

When I overhauled the 365 in my 57 my parts supplier needed the engine # and length of the old pushrods. I was told the early engines used these parts left from 56. I have a low # 10,... I am not sure if it is only the pushrod that changed or the lifter also.
I will see if I can find an old pushrod and post the measurement.

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Thanks for your help, it looks like the pushrods are correct , so the new lifters are suspect !
Phil