News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Need help replacing horn wire on 1955 Series 62

Started by Kevin Kenneally, October 11, 2023, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Kenneally

Has anyone replaced the horn wire on a 1955 Caddilac?  My horn will start going off when the wheel is turned and will stop as I continue to turn the wheel.  Sounds like a short in the wire.  The car only has 22,000 original miles!  I have everything apart on the steering wheel but my question is at the bottom of the steering column the wire goes up at 90 degrees..  I have attached a picture..  what is inside the 90 degree post off the column??  just trying to understand what I'm dealing with before I take it all apart!!  Unfortunately the wire doesn't just come out of the bottom of the column, this 90 degree move makes me wonder what is in there for it to be wired like that??  Appreciate any help!! 

Cadillac Jack 82

Theres a brass sleeve in the steering column that splits over time.  The only way to fix it is to remove the whole steering column and replace it with a new one.  I had a similar problem in my 1954 Buick but I was able to get to the brass fitting through the connection port and use a punch/hammer to fix it.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1964 Cadillac SDV
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Kevin Kenneally

Are thos brass sleeves available and if so from where??

Cadillac Jack 82

I'm not sure anyone reproduces them.  What you can do is buy the correct size brass fitting at a hardware store and fit to the assembly as needed.  If you're luck you might be able to do the repair to the sleeve as I mentioned in my original post.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1964 Cadillac SDV
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Saturnin15

The brass sleeve on my 56 was worn out.  I brought it to a machine shop and the guy was able to make a new one.  Hard to do because it is very thin but doable.
Sedan Deville 1956

Lexi

Quote from: Kevin Kenneally on October 11, 2023, 01:46:34 PMHas anyone replaced the horn wire on a 1955 Caddilac?  My horn will start going off when the wheel is turned and will stop as I continue to turn the wheel.  Sounds like a short in the wire.  The car only has 22,000 original miles!  I have everything apart on the steering wheel but my question is at the bottom of the steering column the wire goes up at 90 degrees..  I have attached a picture..  what is inside the 90 degree post off the column??  just trying to understand what I'm dealing with before I take it all apart!!  Unfortunately the wire doesn't just come out of the bottom of the column, this 90 degree move makes me wonder what is in there for it to be wired like that??  Appreciate any help!! 

Here are some photos of what it looks like. Attached over it I recall is the Neutral Safety Switch. Be careful not to lose that tiny hold down screw! Clay/Lexi

Bob Kielar

The sleeve was worn on my 55. I went to Ace Hardware with a dial caliper and found a solder copper pipe coupling and it fit on the column shaft. It has worked for ten plus years. I must have posted this on the now closed down Mid-Century CadlIkes forum, man there was a lot of information lost when that was closed.

Keep Cruzin
Bob
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Kevin Kenneally

Quote from: Lexi on October 11, 2023, 08:02:07 PMHere are some photos of what it looks like. Attached over it I recall is the Neutral Safety Switch. Be careful not to lose that tiny hold down screw! Clay/Lexi
Pictures a big help, thanks!!

Lexi