News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

E Brake Cable Ends

Started by Clewisiii, September 16, 2024, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

So I worked to restore my E-brake cables. But I need to put an end on one side.

20240916_103042.jpg

I used new branded cables from another E Brake set to replace my original cable. But I need to put a barrel end on one side.

I went to Inline Tube to ask if they would make me E brake Cables. They said no. They would only make like new and they do not have the parts for my car. I asked if I restored the parts could they put in a new cable. At the time they said maybe. Visiting them today they said no.

Who would you recommend to contact to get a barrel end put on. Someone recommended motorcycle shops.

I have tried to find the barrel myself with no real luck. Others have said that you can solder them on. But that was for bicycles.
20240916_103119.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Whats it supposed to look like?  And whats it attaching to?  Is there a lot of extra cable?

Here is a guy thats doing it with no special tools and it seems like it worked reasonably well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5FpCL1a8M
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 16, 2024, 03:18:16 PMWhats it supposed to look like?  And whats it attaching to?  Is there a lot of extra cable?

Here is a guy thats doing it with no special tools and it seems like it worked reasonably well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5FpCL1a8M

I looked at that and most of the people doing it that way are using it on motorcycles or lawn mowers.

I don't know if the solder approach is appropriate for our cars. Normally it is a crimped steel barrel.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

I had the same problem modifying a hand brake cable and found the best place was a yachting supplier that makes rigging.   They have multiple swages to suit most applications.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon