News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

E Brake Cable Ends

Started by Clewisiii, September 16, 2024, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

So I worked to restore my E-brake cables. But I need to put an end on one side.

20240916_103042.jpg

I used new branded cables from another E Brake set to replace my original cable. But I need to put a barrel end on one side.

I went to Inline Tube to ask if they would make me E brake Cables. They said no. They would only make like new and they do not have the parts for my car. I asked if I restored the parts could they put in a new cable. At the time they said maybe. Visiting them today they said no.

Who would you recommend to contact to get a barrel end put on. Someone recommended motorcycle shops.

I have tried to find the barrel myself with no real luck. Others have said that you can solder them on. But that was for bicycles.
20240916_103119.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Whats it supposed to look like?  And whats it attaching to?  Is there a lot of extra cable?

Here is a guy thats doing it with no special tools and it seems like it worked reasonably well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5FpCL1a8M
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 16, 2024, 03:18:16 PMWhats it supposed to look like?  And whats it attaching to?  Is there a lot of extra cable?

Here is a guy thats doing it with no special tools and it seems like it worked reasonably well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5FpCL1a8M

I looked at that and most of the people doing it that way are using it on motorcycles or lawn mowers.

I don't know if the solder approach is appropriate for our cars. Normally it is a crimped steel barrel.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

I had the same problem modifying a hand brake cable and found the best place was a yachting supplier that makes rigging.   They have multiple swages to suit most applications.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon