News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

32 LaSalle Fan Belt

Started by mocatfish, July 31, 2008, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mocatfish

We are in great need of a fan belt for our 32 LaSalle it is a v-belt the same that would fit a v-8 cadillac.It is 39 1/4 outside di. and 15/16 accross the edge. Thank you for any help.

harvey b

Hello There, that size of belt should be available at any good parts store,you need to find one where the staff are easy to get to know and will work with you on your hard to find parts,mostly the little mom and pop stores are good for this,i find the big chains are not interested in this market.Also you could try a place that sells electric motors maybe a industrial belt might work on your application,with a little bit of legwork you will be suprised at what is readily available. HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Glen

The big chains like NAPA can find the parts you need but you need to find the good parts guy.  The kids that have never seen a car without a computer usually can’t find parts for old cars.  Find the guy that knows how to use the paper catalogs under the counter. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

mocatfish

Thanks so much for the help guys! We have tried a auto store that we have dealt with for a little over 40 yrs. and has been great for our other cars. A belt was ordered and wasn't the rite one won't work. We have tried a place in New Jersey and Michigan. We will give the idea of electrical motor belt a try.Again thanks so much.

But any other ideas will be welcomed !

harvey b

Hello there,i also forgot to add to try a farm tractor dealership,or a heavy equipment dealer,some of the heavy equipment might use a belt similar to yours.If you have whats left of the old one that would make it easier to find one that will fit too.maybe a narrower belt would work if you cant get the wide one?HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Otto Skorzeny

I don't know what a 32 LaSalle engine looks like but I would assume there is some room for adjustment in order to install the belt. It's probably not necessary to obtain one of the exact dimension. Depending on the play in the various pulley adjustments, you should be able to determine a range of sizes that will work.

Also note that some belts ride higher in the groove than others depending on their construction. This will also affect the required length. Those that sit deeper in the groove will be shorter than those that ride higher in the groove.

I'm surprised that you are having trouble finding a belt. That's usually one of the simpler tasks during a restoration. Keep looking and try several sizes and shapes. The suggestions about tractors and electrical suppliers are right on. V -belts are made in an almost infinite number of circumferences.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE