News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

!956 Cadillac a/c carb set-up question

Started by Chuck Dykstra, January 15, 2009, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Dykstra

Is there anyone out there who has a 56 Cadillac with air conditioning that could send a photo of the carburetor throttle advance mechanism? I believe I have the part, but my car came with it off and a rebuilt carb on the car. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it gets mounted nor can I see any input for the vacuum line. My manual mentions this part, but shows no photo or diagram. Sure can use any and all help here! Thanks! Chuck

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Chuck,

I have a couple of those in my attic including a carb with the mechanism attached. I'll get a photo to you. (It's REALLY cold up there. I need to put on a ski jacket!)

Happy New Year, BTW.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Chuck,

The ones I have are like the top picture for Carter carbs.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

Chuck,

I'm attaching a few shoots of the routing for the vacuum line, mine is a Rochester carb; these are taken from the right (passenger) side. The vacuum is taken from the bottom side of the base via 90 elbow. This elbow is also MIA from the service data (Lou’s second picture).

Good luck!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Chuck Dykstra

Wow, you guys are great! My carb is a Rochester, so that explains why the Carter setup that Forrest wrote me about looked so foreign to me. These photos are exactly what the doctor ordered. I think I may have what I need now. I had been trying to figure out how to mount the thing on the driver side of the carb and now I see the correct method. I'm a little unsure of the vacuum connection and also where the electrical goes, but all in good time! Thank you one and all! Sincerely, Chuck

J. Gomez

Chuck,

I made a few modifications to the A/C wiring found on section 16 of the Shop Manual that shows the connections for the idle speed-up control, attached is a copy. Unfortunately the idle speed-up control wiring was not list/mention any where in the book.

I was able to get the correct connections on mine thanks to Lou’s help by checking the mystery wiring; the tricky piece was the solenoid is wired in parallel with the neutral switch (Violet) and the main dash panel on-off switch (Green).

Best luck..!

Jose Gomez CLC #23082.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082