News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

allante

Started by Don b., November 11, 2009, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don b.

What do you think if the cadillac allante will be a collecablle car ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

All Cadillacs will become "Collectible" one day, and I can't see any reason why the Allante's shouldn't.

Actually, they probably are "Collectible" right now, and better get a good one, because parts for them will be getting harder to get, especially in the Bodywork department.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, even one of those.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Eeeeoowwww, watch out!  Forrest is shooting real bullets!
Geoff N.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

The future collector will probably park it in a place of honor next to his Yugo and '86 Ford Festiva.
fward

Chris Conklin

Think Edsel. And that would be collectible... not to be confused with valuable.
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

The Cimaron will never approach the greatness of the Edsel.

The Edsel didn't fail because it was a bad car. It was primarily a victim of the recession of '58.

The Cimaron failed because it was a gussied up version of the cheapest POS Chevy in the fleet and sullied the Cadillac name.

It's treated worse by Cadillac people than the 914 is treated by Porsche people.
fward

Carfreak

Quote from: Don b. on November 11, 2009, 03:47:52 PM

What do you think if the cadillac allante will be a collecablle car ?

Everyone has their own preference and idea of what appeals to them.  That's a good thing because otherwise it would be pretty boring if everyone drove a re-sale red 59 Eldo convert. 

Yes, the Allante already IS a collectible car.  The Cadillac & LaSalle Club has a separate chapter which recognizes Allantes & XLR's.  They are a pretty active group and generally there are several Allantes in place at the Grand National Show every year.     http://allante-xlr-clc.org/

Keeping along that same line of thought, we sometimes forget the purpose of the CLC:

We were initially founded to encourage enthusiasts to maintain, preserve, and restore collectible Cadillacs and LaSalles built from 1902-1942. Now the CLC recognizes all vehicles built by Cadillac. We promote the development, collection, publication and exchange of helpful information pertaining to our cars. We also promote social fellowship for club members.

That means ALL CADILLACS including Cimarons, Escalades - everything even customized or modified cars which are not of our particular taste. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

J

to think i owned a cimarron and loved it although i was only 17....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9bvNK9pvTk
Cadillac got me!!!

Otto Skorzeny

I think all that smoke in the ad is coming from the car.

Just to beat this dead horse one more time;

from Wikipedia:

The Cimarron was one of Cadillac's least successful models, its noticeable economy car roots were seen by many automotive writers and critics as doing much to tarnish Cadillac's image of prestige along with the V8-6-4 engine of the same era. According to Car and Driver, current Cadillac product director John Howell has a picture of the Cimarron on his wall captioned, "Lest we forget."

The Cimarron, introduced on May 21, 1981, was initially advertised as "Cimarron, by Cadillac" and sales personnel were instructed by GM to not refer to the car as a Cadillac and to inform customers that it was, technically, not a Cadillac. This strategy failed, and it became the Cadillac Cimarron for 1983.
fward

D.Yaros

Quote from: CarFreak on November 11, 2009, 08:10:48 PM
Yes, the Allante already IS a collectible car.
The key word, above is "collectible."  I say this as a brand new Allante owner.  They are worth but a mere fraction of their original cost.  Some day, they may actually be worth a few dollars, but it will take far longer than the years I have left on earth for them to even get back to the price they sold for in the day.

The demise of the XLR, also, does not help the Allante value one bit.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/