News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Dissasembling 1947 hood ornament

Started by Dave Leger CLC #19256, February 27, 2011, 05:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi folks,

I am getting ready to have my hood ornament replated.  I am assuming the plating shop will not handle disassembly.  Does the pin the top piece hinges on just press out of the lower piece?  Do you drill out the two rivets holding the latch piece?  Not having a drill press, is having a machine shop do these and pressing the pin out the best bet?  I was thinking of using steel screw posts to replace the rivets when I put things back together, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Jack Mcilwraith

Dave   here is a diagram I made when I had mine plated. The pin to which you refer,does just pop out,but I removed the three rivets and put new ones in, on re-assembly.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Thanks Jack!  I pulled the aniti-rattle clip, and the rubber bumper (got a new one in for that from Steele).  I am thinking I may try making a wood backer for the pin area, and use a piece of rod and a vice to try to push it out.  I may try a cutting disk or small grinder tip on a Dremel to carefully grind out the small side of the rivets.

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe