News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

DASHBOARD COLOR

Started by Chasmann, February 18, 2012, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasmann

I own a 49 4 DR. Sedan 62 Series.My dashboard color is different from the outside color of the car although the dash matches the top painted portion of the door panels it doesn't match the outside Also the finish on the dash is marbleized.Does anyone know was this original or did a previous owner make this combination.I know the outside color is correct as per the paint code.Thanks Charlie Murray
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Raymond919

Hi Chasmann,
I also have a '49 series 62 4 dr sedan. I believe that the dash is covered in a contact paper-like covering called Di-Noc. It's somewhat similar to the imitation wood they used on the sides of station wagons years ago. It seems that it's difficult to find Di-Noc although I've been told that it's out there. You may wish to 'Google' Di-Noc and you can see how it's applied. I found a video there.
For my car and probably yours also, the Di-Noc is a brown/black color and textured like leather.

I'd suggest you buy the Authenticity Manual which is a great source of information about our cars.  I believe that the manual can be obtained by writing to Jay Friedman who can direct you as to the cost and where to send your check. The manual is absolutely great if you want to be 'correct' in the work you're doing on your car. You may also wish to join the '49ers, a group for owners of 1949 Cadillacs. Their newsletter is great. Each one has wonderful information on how-to-do stuff. After receiving my first one, I ordered all the back issues for reference.
Ray Schuman
Patterson, NY

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

The authenticity manual can be purchased by going to the home page.  Go  to the sidebar on the left side where you will see the caption "technical resources".  When you hold your mouse over the heading "technical resources" a drop down menu will appear. Click on "authenticity manuals' and the inventory of authenticity manuals will appear.  The direct link is:  http://store.cadillaclasalleclub.org/category_s/1818.htm

Jeff Maltby 4194

Chass.

Here's my virgin/mint oem 49 wood grain dash.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

As Ray said, 1949 Series 61 and 62 coupe and sedan dashes and window panels were covered with "faux" black/brown woodgraining as seen in the photo of Jeff's car.  It was produced by a Di-Noc Transfer, kind of a large decal, which doesn't seem to be available any longer.  There are firms that duplicate the look of woodgraining through some kind of paint process, but you have to send them your dashboard and window panels to have the work done.  Look for their advertisements in Hemmings Motor News. 

'49 convertibles and Coupe de Villes have painted dashes, the colors of which complement the body color .  Some restorers of coupes and sedans who don't want to deal with re-creating the woodgraining paint their dashes like a convertible or CDV.  It's not authentic but a lot easier.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Chasmann

My dash on top is down to bare metal.Don't know if it was left out in the sun or probably a damp location with fluctuating climates.I went to the Di-Noc web site it was interesting.but to be honest with you I don't understand  why a black car would have a brown dash.I don't think that would ever be done in todays time.The original finish was beautiful for a brown or tan car.Just my opinion Well i will have to make a decision on which way to go.Thanks again for the post in response to my questions.I am going to order the authenticity manual this week. Charlie Murray
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Jay Friedman

If you want to join the Forty Niners Chapter of the CLC, send an $8 check to Jay Friedman, 1530 September Chase, Decatur, Georgia 30033.  In return for these annual dues you'll get an 8 page, illustrated quarterly newsletter on running, repairing and restoring '49 Cadillacs.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Caddy Wizard

Here is a non-authentic woodgraining job I had done on a 49 fastback several years ago. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Paul Tesone

Charlie -search the word "hydro-dip" in the Forum's General Discussion search pop up box. Then click on the first entry which should say " 3M DiNoc wood graining material ....." . That entry and the others that follow should help you . Good luck . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Chasmann

Thanks Paul.Beautiful pictures.I went to Atlantic City car auction yesterday .If you have a little time you can do a google search then type in 49 Cadillac.Check out the 1949 sedanete .The dash and interior were gorgeous.Let me know what you think.Charlie Murray

Jay Friedman

The 49 at the Atlantic City Auction is a beautiful car.  However, the dash wood graining is not the right color.  Although not part of the current forum topic, I should add that other visible non-authentic features of this car are the color of the trunk material, the color of the engine paint and the fact that it has an alternator rather than a generator.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Chasmann

Yes Jay you are 100% correct.But you have to say it looked beautiful but not authentic.I do believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Also were the fog light/turn signal correct.I have a 4dr and the ones on that 2dr were different.Charlie Murray

Caddy Wizard

Jeffo,

The dash and door parts cost $1500 to re-do.  Five pieces (6 if you count the glove box door as a separate piece).
Art Gardner

Jay Friedman

To answer Chasmann's question about whether "the fog light/turn signals are correct" on the Atlantic City Auction 49 Cadillac since, as he said, he has "a 4dr and the ones on that 2dr were different".  The answer is that having looked at the photos of the Atlantic City 2 door car I can report that it is equipped with "parking lights", which were standard equipment on 49 Cadillacs.  An extra-cost option in 49 was fog lights, which I presume Chasmann's 4-door car are equipped with.  Having been a '49 watcher for some years, my rough estimate is that three-fourths of them have the optional fog lights.   

Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Paul Tesone

Charlie - authentc or not , it looks like someone spent a significant amount of time and money on the restoration . Do you know how the dash was restored ? I went to an auction in Atlantic City a number of years ago , but never went back . From the photos of the car corral and the list of the cars that went thru the auction , I think I'll consider going again next year . ...Paul.... CLC# 6876

Chasmann

Good Morning Paul.Unfortunately I wasn't able to speak to the old owner. I saw the car after it was already sold.Paul when I came home I couldn't stop talking about it.It was just brilliant.As you notice he only did the top of the dash probably due to the cost.Since your post I have done alot of research on hydro-dip which I think is what he used.I live in NY and have searched out someone who does this work.I am going to see him this week to talk about it.Also I emailed the auction house on Monday to find out the previous owner but never heard back from them.I guess they just want to sell sell sell.also I have no choice I have to put something on my dash its down to bare metal.So original is out of the question.

Jeff Maltby 4194

http://acclassiccars.com/listing/detail.asp?Key=1069

All that work and leave out the main harness firewall plug.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Driving down the road on a hot day without the main harness firewall plug (grommet) means the driver gets a nice blast of hot engine air.  49 Cads are hot enough in the summer as it is, so why.....................??
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Caddy Wizard

They probably wood grained only the top of the dash so they wouldn't have to take the dash out and apart.  That makes the job a lot less scary.
Art Gardner