News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

lasalle 39 restore

Started by stelios, March 14, 2012, 02:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stamper

As Steve says, it should already be there, under the driver's seat.  I will try to put on some pictures.  Unfortunately, the 39 battery runs lengthwise of the car while the 37 is crosswise. The 37 has the hanging lips on the side, the 39 on the ends.  The measurements appear to be about the same.  If the cross pieces the battery case hangs from is there it isn't too difficult to make the battery box if you have a good metal brake. It should be 18 Gauge or 16 gauge.  The distance the cross pieces are apart gives you one dimension, wide enough and deep enough for your battery the others.  I can get you more accurate numbers.

Jim Stamper, CLC#13470

C.R. Patton II

Hello Stelios

You have a nice LaSalle.

Might I suggest that you travel to the CLC Home page-club merchandise-Authenticity Manual/books to acquire Class 4 LaSalle and LaSalle:Cadillacs Companion Car books. Both of these scripts will serve as a reference point to guide you in your restoration.

Please continue to share pictures during your restoration process
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

revgawright

There is some interesting info on that label but can't figure out why it's in German. Ich verstehe nicht!

According to this tag is has a 3500 cc engine which would be 3.5 liters or roughly 214 cu. in. It specifically states that it was manufactured in 1939 and LaSalle was using a 322 cu. in. engine, which isn't even in the ballpark. The bottom part of the picture is cut off, but it's just curb weight, etc.

Just a thought... you might contact a Chevy dealer--one that's been around for a while. Having imported the Opel from Germany they're probably seen these tags a time or two?
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

stelios

hi thanks for your help
know someone where can find all wiring for my cady?
there is new original wiring?????
thanks again
Stelios the Greek

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Try to Google Rhode Island Wiring Harness. Please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

stelios

hi
i have i problem with the hinge to my hood begause there isnt original and i try to make it
if you have some pics you help me to make it
Stelios the Greek

stelios

some pics
Stelios the Greek

stelios

more pics
Stelios the Greek

stelios

!!!
Stelios the Greek

Herbie

I'd like to toss in on this 1937 LaSalle.

I have a 1936 LaSalle that was built in Canada and I use it as a General's staff car in WWII reenactments. I'm also a member of the MVPA, Military Vehicle Preservation Association and I've been working on WWII vehicles since I was twenty years old - a long time ago.

First, I've been told by many old timers that when WWII started here in the USA the government sent buyers out across the land buying up trucks and cars they deemed suitable for military use. So it is possible for a older civilian vehicle being drafted. The car General Patton was in, the one that he was fatally injured, is (if I remember correctly) a 1939 Cadillac that had European style semaphore turn signals. It sits in the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky. I also saw one of those WWII color documentaries that showed a prewar Chrysler 'Air Flow' in a US Convoy.

Elsewhere I remember seeing someone asking if anyone may know what became of their family's LaSalle from Yugoslovia which the Germans confiscated.

Now we have a German ID tag that (again if I remember correctly) is very similar to the ID tags on German VW Kubelwagens from WWII. The car also has the plastic coated wiring which is not original but of the type the Germans did use in WWII.

As to the inverted 'U' in the right side of the firewall - it makes me wonder if this car was ever equipped with Right-Hand Drive??

Tell us what you know of the car Steve. That will help.

My grandfather came from Greece in 1904.

Terry