News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

lasalle 39 restore

Started by stelios, March 14, 2012, 02:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelios

I am restoring this Lasalle vehicle and need info for the autentication and if it was used from the US Army during the war
Any info or help will be really apresiated
looking also for authentic pictures of the era to make a nice museum display
Many thanks
Stelios the Greek

stelios

pics
Stelios the Greek

stelios

pics
Stelios the Greek

stelios

pics
Stelios the Greek

Jim Stamper

I can't tell, is your car a two or four door?   Jim Stamper, CLC#13470

harry s

It looks like a '37 or '38 to me. The grille and floor shift transmission are '37. The dash looks like maybe '38. The hood ornament is '41 and the Cadillac script on grille seems lilke after market. What does the data plate on the firewall say?
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Steve Passmore

Theres no doubt thats a 37 La Salle, dont know why you would think it was a late as 39 Stelios?, Last of the floor changes and the narrow grill with after market badge just as you say Harry.
I dont think the US would have used that year car for war duties, after all they had 41 and 42 models to choose from, but other countries certainly would have commandeered them, as we did in Britain.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jim Stamper

Better pictures. It does look like a 37, and I can see it is a four door.

No chevrons.
     I don't recognize the indentation on the right side of the firewall.
     And is that a rear exit exhaust instead of a front?  Could that be the indents purpose?
     I don't recognize that cute little tank on the left fire wall.
     The other perch is perhaps for a windshield washer?
     I thought the center dash had five holes for controls like my 37 Cadillac coupe, not three as this one has. There should be two more right above these three. My Authenticity Manual shows five. It does appear to have a radio, or provision for one.  I don't remember the horizontal area under the base of the dash being so wide.
     It has nicely integrated turn signal controls on the steering column.

An interesting car, I wonder what else is a bit different. It looks to be in great condition. Good luck with the restoration
                               Jim Stamper CLC#13470

stelios

Hi again
here is the number on the data plate
and is a four door
many thanks
Stelios the Greek

Jim Stamper

Stelios;

Your car and numbers are a mystery. The tag itself does not appear to be LaSalle, but possibly a national tag, required to be added in some countries upon importation. I suppose as a method to assure proper import taxes have been paid and a way to keep some uniformity in a vehicle registration system. My guess is this car is a 1937, imported in 1939, hence the date on the (German?) tag. I think the number also is an importation number, important for registration purposes, but meaningless as to the car itself.  The number you posted falls into Cadillac numbers for the year 1929, which it clearly is not.

The Cadillac vehicle identification numbers should appear on the top of the left frame rail. Possibly near the steering box, but right on top so you can look right down on it from above and read it fairly easily if nor painted or greased over. There may be a five pointed star at one end.   The same number will appear on the engine block, running parallel to the firewall, down behind the distributer, but in front of the bell housing.  Of course, if the engine has been changed some time in the past, the numbers will not match.  It appears your engine is out of the car so the numbers will be easy to see if the area is clean of grease.

Well, this is my take on this car at this point, anyone else have any thoughts?    Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Jim Stamper

I forgot to add, my source gives the number range for 1937 LaSalle to be from #2230001 through #2262005.  For 1939 LaSalle they are #2290001 through #2313028    (   1938  #2270001 through 2285501 )   

Notice that all of these serial numbers are seven digits in length, not the six digits your firewall plaque indicates.

If you can find out the original numbers for the car a lot more can be learned about it from Cadillac Historical Services and the club membership through this site. Are there no other firewall plaques on the car?

Jim Stamper #13470

stelios

hi again
i find a number there is inside driver wheel on the body is 2B 22262
ANY HELP!!!!!!
THANKS
Stelios the Greek

Steve Passmore

That confirms its a 1937 La salle Stelios.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

stelios

hi
if 1937 what is the correct number?
and you have photos to help me ?
use the army lasalle 1937?
thanks guys!!!
Stelios the Greek

Jim Stamper

Hello Stelios;

Is the engine number on the rear left of you engine similar to the frame number you found? If the last few numbers match the frame number then your engine came with the car originally.

With the number you have you can find out more information about your car from the people who now research this for us. Their information is on the main page of this site.  People are less satisfied with the new service than the old service but you are almost certain to learn more than you know now.

This is a guess on my part. Certainly the U S Army owned cars prior to WWII so they could have owned 37 LaSalles. I don't know how that could be determined. My thinking is the firewall tag that your car has with 1939 would indicate it was a civilian car imported in 1939.  I would try and find out what that tag actually means, I am only guessing.    Good luck;   Jim Stamper CLC#13470

gary griffin

Possibly if you can include  a picture with all of the   Army numbers and insignias some of our Veterans could decipher them and figure out a little more about the possible military service of this car. It could also be just a parade car someone painted up and not have any military significance.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

stelios

Hello, another detail of my car is that my spare tire stores in the trunk, not on the outside like most caddy's of this era.
There is no mount for the battery which rises a question of where does it exactly go.
In our case, the battery was in the trunk beside the spare tire, with a homemade crossbar holding it down.
Thank you again for your time and have a pleasant day.
Stelios the Greek

Jim Stamper

Hi Stelios;

Lift the bottom cushion from the front seat out. Under the driver's seat there should be a removable door. The battery goes down in there, below the floor level. A battery in the trunk makes quite a distance for 6 volts to travel, I would put it back under the seat where it belongs.
                                                          Jim Stamper,  CLC# 13470

stelios

are there any close pictures of the battery base and any top views so I will be able to cut the piece and make the door?
Stelios the Greek

Steve Passmore

You shouldn't have to make a door Stelios, all production models had them already, unless someone has welded yours up of coarse.  The battery case is a very simple affair that hooks over two rods running between the chassis rails, Jim made some recently for his 39 including a spare, perhaps it would fit the 37.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe