News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

69 ELDORADO: THE BAD

Started by djohnson, May 26, 2012, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djohnson

Finally got to uncover the car and take a deeper look at what's really going on with her.
As far as I can see it's mostly cosmetics.  but  I didn't get to coordinate with my mechanic yet
So still not a clean bill of health.

THE BAD.      Bumper corner has a rusty streak (looks like acid spilled on it at one point)
                    Some owner along the way (i have no history past the last two) had a bug shield on and NOW i gotta deal with that.
                    The mirror is pitted and at the point of no return...Shines up nice but bumpy
                    The paint job which i would guess is aboutt 10-15 years old (maybe 20) is holding up but
                    if I could paint this whole car I would.
                    found a couple of pimples under the vinyl roof ("if you look for a pimple you will find one")
                    I think the only way to fix that is pull the roof (let me know on that one)
                    Still looking for a correct hood ornament (if you have one let me know) and a rear floor mat
                   (Dark green 67 thru 73 will do.....if any one knows of one)

The engine and transmission shifts /drives/starts/stops and runs pretty damn good.
                    this is the best classic ELDO I have owned (about 8 over the years)

Also got a 8 track player coming.  there are 2 cars on EBAY with bucket seats....DAMN.....Wish
                    I had unlimited Cash for this car.....I would take the plunge

djohnson

the Bumper

djohnson

THE MIRROR

djohnson

THE PAINT

djohnson

THE ROOF AND THE PIMPLES

Davidinhartford

All in all, not a bad report.   The paint and top are presentable as-is, so I'd enjoy it.   The hood on the other hand,  do you think you could just paint the hood for now?

Yes, the only way to deal with the rust pimple is to pull the top back.   Be prepared to find more.  Plus you may find some rust in the rear glass channels.    My car had some pin holes there too.

My drivers mirror is in the same condition.  Shines up nice, but has some pitting bumps.   I'd love to get a new or rechromed one, but as you have noticed, they don't interchange with the RWD cars and cost a small fortune.

Aaron Hudacky

The rust on your front bumper end looks like most of the brown surface stain could be removed. You won't be able to eliminate the bare metal causing the streaking, but a polish like Blue Magic metal polish should remove at least 90% of the rust stain, and if that won't work, there are bumper ends for 67-70 Eldorados relisting often on Ebay for not too much.

For the hood, an interim approach I'd try is wet sanding the primer off, then using rust converter on the rust areas which probably cover a much smaller area than the primer covers. The original paint is likely intact below the primer.  Then you could spot touch the converted areas with the closest matching dupli color brush touch up followed by compund/polish wax. Since most primer is porous, the rust is probably still developing below the primer if the car gets wet.

My recommendations definitely aren't an alternative to replating/repainting, but could improve the appearance of the affected areas in the meantime. 
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

djohnson

Thanks Guys

Im gonna send the car to the body shop (when the money is right) so eventually the hood will be done and the pimples outside
of the vinyl roof will be handled.  If I pull the roof, Im gonna pull it all the way off and turn this car into a "slick top" as I already found
a set of Non vinyl top window moldings.    As for the bumper i am leaning towards a rechrome of the front and rear bumper.

The mirror is gonna stay as is because Im not willing to pull the door panel.  So that would be the last thing. 
The grill just will not clean up like I want....the White Filmy ness....is killing me..I am looking for a better one (hopefully NOS)

As for the 8 track.....The Bill Mitchell Eldorado has the 8 track under the ashtray so thats where mine is going.
I hope it doesnt look to crowded with the tissue holder under the glove.

Gotta get the mechanic here so he can check it all out (engine wise).  Looked under car and some drips are happening.
seems to be oil....so its probably the oil pan gasket but just not sure. 

Let us pray on that one

Gene Beaird

Yep, that vinyl will have to come off to properly fix that.  I agree that the slick-top looks better, even if it isn't original. 

That outer bumper part looks like it's been hit and/or someone's tried to straighten it out with more hitting.  Re-chrome will be an awesome fix.  You may take some chrome polish and brass wool after it to see if you can knock back the rust some.  Maybe then wax it so things are coated, but some rust will probably return, unless you can store it inside. 

You may want to take it by a good paint shop and see if they can patch and blend the paint on that hood for now.  The paint's old enough a blend may not look that bad.  If it does, you can tell them you're planning to get it painted soon and wanted to fix some rust for now.

Leaks?  They'll do that.  Probably rear main seal, at least.  I'd check the oil pressure sending unit.  They'll tend to leak with time.  Are you sure the leaks are all engine oil?  Our 68 looks pretty tight as far as the engine is concerned, but the trans is leaking like a sieve! 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

djohnson

The hood is gonna be next.  once the hood gets painted and i get the factory hood
ornament.  I will be ready to tackle the mechanical.   The engine/transmission &
drivetrain are in great condition for a 43 year old car.  The exhaust is in good shape
and this car doesnt hav e too many options to cause  problems under
the dash.  Once my mechanic gives it the once over i will let you guys know about
the mechanicals.   The leak isn't that bad its just in one spot and very light

ALSO,  I know that only the 1967 had the "sail Panel wreath & crest" but i couldnt resist