News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Gold plating letters and badges

Started by fiftysixcaddy, July 19, 2012, 10:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiftysixcaddy

Need to find a resource to replate letters and Badges for 1956 fleetwood. Struck out at jewelery stores. Little help around Chicago please.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

In 1956 they switched to anodizing, since the trim was made of aluminum.
This is an entirely different process vs. gold plating which they used on some
pieces in 1955.

You have to find a plating shop that does this type of work.  I have no idea
who would in the Chicago area (I live in Pittsburgh).  Perhaps some other
club member can recommend a shob near you.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

KD

I don't know what your emblem looks like but I just sent mine for my 1940 V-16 to Karla Maxwell@ MaxwellEnamels.com.
She has to do the gold plating and the porcelian on it. It costs about $400.00.
Call her @ 760 941-1966 and she may be able to help you. Good Luck
Ken Dennison CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Paul Tesone

Dan - six years ago , I had two hood  bezels and Eldorado letters gold plated for my 57 Eldo . I sent one bezel and the Eldo letters  to Three Rivers Gold Plating in Fort Wayne , Indiana ; and a second bezel to Brush Plating Services in Torrance , CA . At the time , I was just looking thru internet listings and these companies caught my eye . Both advertised plating of auto parts and Three Rivers actually had a photo of a Cadillac wreath . I had an extra bezel , so I thought I'd try two different places just in case pieces got lost at one of them . I was very pleased to say that both companies did exactly what they said they would do and both returned very nice finished pieces . I believe Three Rivers charged me $150.00 for the bezel and letters and Brush Plating charged $ 50.00 for the one bezel . So I thought I would look up these companies to see if they were still in business before I responded to your post . Well , they are . BUT , I was was very dissapointed to see that Three Rivers has some very bad reviews . I was not aware of any bad reviews at the time or I probably would not have used Three Rivers . I have , however , learned not to take reviews - good or bad - as gospel ; for someone (perhaps even a competitor ) can write whatever they want without fear of reprisal . But there does seem to be a fair number of bad reviews posted for Three Rivers and none for Brush Plating . If you google "gold plating  Chicago, Il " , a list of at least 25 companies in the Chicago area will appear . One is The Finishing Touch , a company that I have never used , but have seen their chrome plating , which appears to be of high quality . This company advertises on a regular basis in The Self Starter . I don't know if they do gold . Just some ideas . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

fiftysixcaddy

Sent out an email to Finishing Touch see what comes back. Hear the same thing about Three Rivers.Thanks for all your suggestions.

Paul Tesone

Dan - just curious , how did you make out with Finishing Touch ? Paul Tesone ...CLC # 6876

fiftysixcaddy

For only $845.00 it could be completed. A bit pricey even with the cost of gold I think. Still trying local Car Dealers as a lead a Coin shop dealer put me on. Might have to try closer to the city(Chicago)

Paul Tesone

Dan - $845 does seem a bit pricey . Why don't you give Brush Plating a call ? Before I contacted Brush & Three Rivers , I went to a number of jewelry businesses but they were of no help. They only delt with very small items . I would be shocked if you couldn't get your items done for cosiderably less money than $845 . Good luck . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876